Sunrise

The sun rose over the island of Isla Nublar that morning warming the skin of the dinosaurs that slept out in the exposed plains. It was quiet and relaxing until a series of barks broke the silence. Some of the dinosaurs groaned attempting to block out the noise to continue their sleep but the barking was persistent and getting closer.

A female Apatosaurus rose her head slightly to see her canine companion running in the field towards the direction of her and her herd. She groaned before lifting up her large neck and head and rising to her feet. The dog danced around her happily with a few yips.

"Way to go, Dino, you woke the entire plains." Keira Grant sighed as she walked down the hill to take her morning observations. She chuckled as Dino raced circles around his large friend. She pulled her hair into a ponytail before grabbing her clipboard and getting to work.

She passed a few dinosaurs that refused to wake up with a smirk before she headed in search of a particular dinosaur.

She had entered the trees to find more sleeping dinosaurs but finally she found the dinosaur she was looking for.

"Good morning Loki." she greeted the dinosaur that was moving around slowly as he awoke. Loki was their newest males added into the herbivores. He was a young triceratops that thoroughly enjoyed getting into trouble with his own herd along with creating problems among others.

Due to his latest annoyance among the stegosaurus herd, he had earned himself a nasty gash on his side that Keira was making sure to check on throughout the day to make sure it remained somewhat clean and free of infection. She walked over as he was still in a sleepy daze before checking the healing wounds.

"Stay out of trouble today." she told him with a pat before heading off.

"Left!" Owen Grady threw his left hand up, three raptors came to a halt before changing directions and heading to the left. The man stood on top of the Raptor Paddock walkway watching the three intently before throwing up his right hand. "Right!"

The females obeyed and finally, he threw up both hands. "Halt!" They stood still watching him awaiting for their next direction. Owen smiled to himself before wiping his brow of sweat before reaching into the bucket behind him and throwing a rat to each of them.

Blue, Yin and Yang chirped.

"Nice work, that was the cleanest I've seen them." Barry said walking over with a slow clap.

"Gotta give it up to the girls, they were on point." he said.

"They improve everyday."

"Yeah, they do." Owen said proudly looking down to the three that looked at him for more.

"That's enough." he said. But suddenly, the three girls were catching another round of rats. He turned to see Keira looking over the railing.

"Hey!" he said placing his hands on his hips.

"Hi." she smiled before walking over and kissing his cheek.

"That wasn't a hey, hello. That was a hey, you're feeding them and they didn't do anything for it."

"But look at those faces..." Keira said.

They looked down to see the  three  watching them.

"Yes, they're cute and they use to that advantage. Quit handing out rats Oprah."

Keira giggled. "Ready for lunch?" she asked.

He smiled at her before turning to Barry who gave a wave to him. "Let's go."

They arrived at the newly built worker's cafeteria where they saw Michelle and Lowery sitting enjoying their lunch. They sat down with them.

"I'm starving." Keira said.

"When are you not hungry?" Lowery asked.

"When I'm sleeping." Keira said. "And even then it's not guaranteed."

"Hungry in bed definitely played out differently in my head just now." Owen said with waggle of his eyebrows. Keira nudged him as Lowery and Michelle blushed.

Keira's radio went off.

"Keira, where are you?" Claire's voice echoed in the cafe. Several workers and interns looked over. Keira quickly adjusted the volume.

"I'm in the cafeteria."

"Good, stay put." 

"Yes ma'am." Keira said with a shake of her head before digging into her sandwich.

Owen watched as his fiancee devoured the sandwich in a matter of minutes.

"Where does it all go?" he asked lifting up her shirt exposing her abdomen. She giggled.

"Into my awesome muscles!" she said flexing her arms.

"Easy Flex." Claire said coming up behind her.

Keira turned to her. "Well hi Claire, it's always a pleasure." she said in a teasing tone.

"Save it Grant." she said. "I have a new intern here to say hello."

Keira arose and saw Zach Mitchell standing behind his aunt.

"Zach?" she said with a surprised look before going over and hugging the teenager.

"Hey Keira." he said hugging her in return.

"Intern? Shouldn't you be in school right now?" she asked.

Zach looked to his aunt who gave Keira a look that said she would explain later. Keira nodded her head.

"Well, anyways, we're glad to have you here, aren't we guys?"

The crew greeted him, Owen walked over clapping him on the shoulder. "So what field were you looking to work in?" he asked. "Wanna come hang out in the raptor paddock?"

Zach quickly shook his head. "No, actually. I was hoping to work in the plains." he said looking to Keira. She raised her brow.

"Oh, oh that's great!" she said clapping her hands together. I could certainly use an assistant in the field besides Doug." she said.

Zach grinned. "Really?"

"Yeah." Keira said. "But know it's tough work, you gotta keep up."

"I will." he promised.

"Good, now come sit down and eat." she said.

Once Zach was settled with Lowery and Michelle, Owen and Keira walked with Claire.

"So, what's he doing here instead of school?" Keira asked.

"He got kicked out." Claire said. " I'm not sure of all the details but I know that his parents are struggling with Zach."

"And they thought it was a good idea to ship him out here?" Owen asked.

"No, I made the suggestion. It took some convincing but I think this would be good for Zach." she said.

"You don't think, he's going to be freaked out to be here after all that happened to him and Gray?" Keira questioned.

"He seemed pretty eager to return once I offered it to him. I don't want to see him go down a bad path. This is a sanctuary right, maybe it can be his sanctuary too."

Keira sighed. "Alright, don't go getting sappy on me Dearing, I'll take him into the field and work with him."

"Thank you!"