The Heartbreaking Choice

Start from the beginning

"Griffin, I have to tell you something. I'm so sorry, kiddo. They did all they could. She's gone, Griff." Jess sighed. Griffin felt his will to live shatter into a million pieces. He held tears, clamping his eyes shut. He trembled and quivered and Harper gestured for her family to exit the room. 

The boy burst into tears and Harper sighed wishing there was more she could do to help him feel better. 

Harper whispered soothing words, a few tears of her own escaping her eyes. Griffin was crying so hard, his heart rate increased impeccably and the monitor began beeping rapidly. Harper held him tight, trying her best to calm the broken boy down. 

Two nurses ran in, one fixing the monitor, the other running to Griffin's side. Harper backed off and watched as the nurse looked him in the eye, desperately trying to calm him down. He coughed, struggling to breathe. 

"Is he okay? What's going on?" Harper asked the other nurse nervously. 

"Panic attack. Not good for his heart. He'll be okay." The nurse assured. 

The nurse with Griffin eventually got the boy's breathing slightly back to normal and the tears were to a minimum. She rubbed his back and had him drink some water before hooking him back up to the heart monitor. 

"If that occurs again, we're gonna put him on an oxygen line. Keep him as relaxed as possible. I know that's hard right now." The nurse said. Harper nodded and sat next to Griffin yet again. He looked up at her with tears in his eyes. 

"Hey, it's okay, baby. I've got you. You're alright." Harper comforted as Griffin whimpered into the crook of her neck. 

***********

Two weeks later, all the funerals were over. Griffin was broken. He barely talked, Harper hadn't seen him smile since the incident, and he cried often. The poor boy's soul was destroyed. She walked into his room the day of the twins' funeral. 

"Hey, can we talk?" She asked. Griffin shrugged with his good shoulder, other one held up by a sling. "I know today is hard." 

"Understatement of the year." Griffin sniffled. Harper wrapped her arm around him. 

"I know. I understand though. I know what its like to lose a family member. Losing my dad was the worst thing that ever happened to me." Harper admitted. 

"With all due respect, Harper, I don't think you do understand. At least you still had a family that cares about you, to be there for you during that hard time. My entire family is gone. All my extended family is in Chicago and NOT ONE of them wanted to help me. They didn't care at all." Griffin cried. 

"That's not true, Griff. They all cared. And you have my family." Harper assured. 

"It's not the same." Griffin whimpered. Harper sighed sadly. 

"I know, love. I'm sorry." 

*************

The next week, Griffin went back to school. Everyone was staring and muttering, avoiding Griffin at all costs. 

Him and Harper were eating lunch and Griffin's friends Gino, Luke, and Preston came over. 

"Hey, dude." Preston greeted with a smile. 

"We missed you, man!" Luke exclaimed, patting his shoulder. Griffin forced a fake smile. 

"Hey guys." Griffin stated. "What have you been up to?" 

"Your mom." Gino laughed, looking around the group for a reaction. Griffin looked down, tears welling up in his eyes. 

"Yeah, dude! Nice one! Perfect set up." Luke laughed along.