Wait in the Truck

SONG FIC BASED OF OF HARDY AND LAINEY WILSON'S SONG "WAIT IN THE TRUCK" 

Griffin was 16 years old and was driving around a town in Louisiana in a horrible thunderstorm. It had been two years since he'd seen his best friend Harper Dunn because she'd moved. He was now driving to surprise her at her new house. As much as he hated to admit it though, he was lost. 

"I got turned around in some little town I'd never been to before. Working my way through a middle-of-June thunderstorm." 

As he was driving, Griffin slammed on the brakes as he saw a girl in the headlights. Upon closer realization, it was Harper. She looked horrified. Griffin hopped out of his truck and gently approached Harper. 

"Harp?" Griffin asked. She didn't say anything, but she had tears streaming down her face. She ran to him and engulfed him in a hug. 

"Climb in." Griffin said, and led her over to the truck. She nodded. 

"There was something in the headlights it stopped me on a dime. Well she was scared to death, so I said "Climb in" and in she climbed." 

Griffin climbed into the drivers seat and looked over at Harper. 

"I missed you." Griffin tried. She nodded. She was still sobbing but Griffin took one look at her bruised and bloody body and knew exactly what had happened to her. 

"Well, she was bruised and broke from head to toe with a tear in her blood stained shirt. She didn't tell the whole truth but she didn't have to, I knew what had happened to her." 

Griffin put the truck in drive and looked over at Harper. 

"Where's he at?" Griffin asked. 

"Griff no." Harper said. She looked at his face and she already knew what he was about to do. He sighed. 

"Where is he Harper?" Griffin asked firmly. 

"Griffin-" Harper pleaded. 

"Locker ninja. I love you. I always have. Let me help you." Griffin said. Harper smiled. 

"35 Backstreet." Harper said. Griffin nodded and drove off. 

"I didn't load her down with questions, that girl had been through enough. I just threw it in drive, looked in those eyes, and asked her where he was." 

Harper looked over at the once shy boy who now looked ready to murder whomever did this to her. He had his jaw set and nothing was stopping him. 

"I don't know if he's an angel, cause angels don't do what he did. He was hellbent to find the man behind all the whiskey scars I hid. I never thought my day of justice would come from a judge under a seat. But I knew right then I'd never get hit again when he said 'wait in the truck. just wait in the truck.'" 

They eventually made it to the address and Griffin unbuckled and looked over at Harper. 

"Hey, I love you. Everything's fine now okay? Wait in the truck." He instructed. 

"Wait, Griffin!" Harper stopped him. He turned around to look at her. 

She kissed him and hugged him tightly. 

"Love you Locker ninja." Griffin said, referring to the nickname he gave her when they were kids. She smiled. 

"I love you too guitar god." She said with a smile. 

Griffin walked up to the door and knocked. Nothing. He knocked a couple more times. Still nothing. He sighed and kicked open the door. He saw a man sitting on the couch and grabbed a pistol off the mans counter as the man reached for a shotgun. 

"Well, I knocked and knocked and no one came so I kicked in his double-wide door. I let the hammer drop before he got to that 12 he was reaching for." 

A few minutes later, Griffin walked back out onto the porch. He sighed and sat down the pistol next to him as he smoked one of the man's cigarettes. 

Harper ran out and threw her arms around him. 

"We have to go Griff! They'll take you away!" Harper cried. 

"I'm done running from my problems Harp." Griffin said. He tried to hide his teary eyes as Harper laid her head on his shoulder as they waited for the cops to arrive. 

"I didn't try to hide my pistol, I didn't even try to run. I just sat on the porch, smoking one of his cigarettes and waited for the cops to come." 

Harper cried on his shoulder as they soon heard sirens approaching. Griffin took a deep breath. Harper looked up into his teary eyes with her own. 

"I'm sorry." Harper cried. 

"Not your fault. He's where he belongs now." Griffin said. As the red and blue lights approached Griffin hugged Harper tight and they cried. 

"I don't know if he's an angel, cause angels don't do what he did. He was hellbent to find the man behind all the whiskey scars I hid. I never thought my day of justice would come from a judge under a seat. But I knew right then, I'd never get hit again when he said to me 'wait in the truck. just wait in the truck.'" 

It had been 5 years. Griffin had ended up in juvie until about 3 or 4 years ago when he was moved to an actual jail. He lost his family and friends over this incident and it had been a rough couple of years for him. But Harper still came to visit and their relationship was still going strong. 

"It's been 60 months and she still comes to see me from time to time. It was worth the price to see a brighter side of the girl I picked up that night." 

Harper came to visit and they finally got to sit together. After talking for a while, Griffin sniffled into Harper shoulder as Harper told him how his family was doing. He knew that this would be what the rest of his life looked like, but the man who had hurt Harper was where he belonged. 

"I might be here forever. It ain't paradise, that's true. But it's a whole hell of a lot better than the place I sent him to." 

"WAIT IN THE TRUCK. JUST WAIT IN THE TRUCK."