"You're almost 18, (y/n), and I've been patient for long enough. So tell me, why haven't you completed the power harness yet?"

"Well...it's harder to complete than other stuff," you tried to explain. "Those are just simple tricks, but this...?"

Truth be told, however, you'd already learned that entire thing from bottom to top. I mean, how much time could you possibly need to learn something when you're stuck looking at the same four walls everyday?

The only reason you were lying about it was because there was something about it that didn't sit right to you. When you'd actually tried to perform it, to test it out, it felt like it was draining you. But if this was just supposed to be a harness, then wasn't it supposed to help you?

"Well, then, it's time to see what needs to be fixed," your mother announces as she waltzes into what you could probably deem as the living room. "Come, sweetheart, you know what you're supposed to do."

You silently nod, following her into the living room while casting a small glance at Xena on the way, her tiny face giving you a look of encouragement.

Your mom sits on the couch, and you hurry to sit in front of her, holding your palms out. They begin to produce little branches of purple magic entangling in each other and rising upwards as it takes the form of a little ball. To play it off as being unable to make it work, your hand 'accidentally' jerks, hard enough to make it noticeable but soft enough to make it seem like it wasn't purposeful, and a stray bolt of purple escapes and hits a vase, causing it to shatter to the ground, making your mother jolt in surprise.

"(Y/n)!" she shrieks, bristling at the loud impact.

"Sorry, sorry! It always does that for some reason," you lied, in an eager mood to bring up your topic of conversation before she starts scolding you for breaking something. "But, anyways, mom... in a few days, if you didn't know, is a really, really important event for me, remember?"

You clasped your hands together and gave her a wide grin, hoping she would catch the hint, but she remained oblivious to your announcement.

Your shoulders dropped with disappointment, sighing, "It's my birthday, Mother."

"Oh," she says blankly, standing up from the couch and walking past you. "Wasn't your birthday just a couple of months ago or something?"

"Last year, mom," you mutter. "Like every other birthday I've had."

She seems to pay no mind to your comment as she begins searching a little chest that sits by the window. "Did you see a little glass bottle while you were cleaning up?"

"A glass-?" you furrow your brow in confusion, astounded at how she just completely changed the topic. "What, you mean the one with the dirt in it?"

"It's not dirt, (y/n), I told you," she corrects you, turning around to face you with her hands on her hips. "It's remains of a very important rock, and happens to be necessary for my work."

"Oh, some more 'important stuff?'" you asked sarcastically. "Nothing you've ever brought home and put in that box is never work-related."

"To you. You just...can't see the bigger picture."

"Well, it's kinda hard to find one when the only image you have is the same four walls you're stuck in every day of your life."

Valentina gives you a look, one that silently expresses her disapproval of your retort.

"Don't get smart. Where is it?"

You shrugged and gestured to her room.

"I threw it in there. I didn't know what it was because it was just laying around, but your name was on the side of the bottle, so I just tossed it in your room."