𝟎𝟐𝟎. sisters sent to their deaths

Start from the beginning

Coriolanus has supposedly introduced many new elements to these games. Some sick person may say their proud of him, but Avery feels more infuriated with him every day.

And if she hates all of his morals and ideas so much, why does her heart still pump only for him? He has her locked away and the key is gone.

She spotted Azora and her husband who slowly made their way towards her and Coriolanus. Azora isn't much older than Avery, but she is already married.

She's discussed Avery's marriage with Coriolanus, but Avery found it all a bit unsettling. She just turned eighteen a couple of months ago. The idea of marrying her boyfriend of almost a year sounded a bit early.

Or maybe Avery's unsureness was her mind secretly screaming to get far away from the Snows and the Capitol.

"What a bold yet fabulous fashion choice," Azora complimented.

Before Avery could speak, Coriolanus's arm held her waist. "My rose always does look good in red."

Azora gave Avery a knowing smile. Coriolanus spoke to Azora's husband as Avery made nervous small talk with her friend. Fear was gurgling in her throat and she tried to swallow it, but it wasn't working.

The crowd began to gather together as the screen projected. The Reaping for the 11th Annual Hunger Games had begun.

They showed tribute after tribute with a pit growing in Avery's stomach. Coriolanus seemed to pay no attention as he intensely watched the screen, likely remembering his experience from last time.

He knew of her sisters' situations, but chose to never comfort Avery about it. She wondered if he knows if they're alive.

It was a dreadful time now. The reaping for District 12. They were going to call up the District 12 female tribute.

Please. Avery begged for her sisters' safety in her mind.

"The female tribute for District 12 is..."

Avery's heart soared.

"Gretchen Spade."

Gretchen. Gretch. Her little sister.

In seconds, the heads of the entire crowd turned to face Avery Spade. She watched wordlessly as the cameras found her sister in the crowd. The girl with brunette curls looked around nervously before slowly moving towards the pathway that led to the stage. Her lips trembled.

Avery watched as her sister was led to death. She would have screamed that she volunteers at the top of her lungs, but she couldn't. She is a Capitol citizen.

She learned that her sister was alive, but at what cost?

Before Gretchen's boots could reach the path, another girl came running to her aid. The strikingly similar young girl screamed with tears pouring down her face.

Gwynn Spade took Gretchen in her arms. She sobbed more than the girl who was actually reaped.

This brought even more tears to Avery's eyes.

Peacekeepers began to rush towards them, attempting to tear the twin sisters apart. Avery wanted to kill them right now. She wanted to wrap her hands around their necks and see the life drain from their emotionless faces. She tried to shake the murderous thoughts, as she began to feel more like a Snow every second.

It's a shock that Coryo was one of them. Not as much anymore though. While he was a Peacekeeper, he was never like them, at least not to her or her sisters.

"Gretch!" the desperate girl screamed.

The Peacekeepers began to drag Gretchen towards the stage, but Gwynn broke out of a Peacekeeper's grasp to run after her sister. The crowd looked at the girls with both surprise and fear. The adrenaline ran through Avery's veins even though she was watching the entire thing unfold from behind a screen.