"Hii Ana!" Ashley cheered, taking one of my hands in hers as a greeting. "It's nice to see you here". She said. My gaze went from Ashley to Mary-Kate, who was herself watching her sister's actions, then back to Ashley. 

"It's nice to see you too."I replied before looking at Mary-Kate who looked at me up and down and I took this opportunity to do the same.

Ashley was wearing a short black skirt and a white roll-neck shirt topped with a tailored jacket and silver jewelry. As for Mary-Kate, I had already seen her earlier, but I was too caught in the anxiety I had at the moment to notice how pretty the dress she was wearing looked on her. Her hair was down, and she had red nail polish on her nails.

"You both look amazing." I said, not wanting to say too much given that they were my bosses. Ashley gave me a wide smile and Mary-Kate's lips turned a bit upward. 

Ashley started to talk to me, asking me about the party and how I got invited there. Mary-Kate, on the other hand, seemed to start zoning out.

Ashley and I kept on making small talk. We were getting on very well. I even think that we'd be good friends if there wasn't this boundary that our statue of boss and employee generated. We talked until Mary-Kate interrupted us out of nowhere. "You made that dress?"

That was all she said. A mere and short sentence that said a lot: she noticed it. If I had known when I designed this dress, back in my apartment between two long law study sessions, that one of today's most renowned couturiers would see the dress, I'd have probably alerted the whole town. Because in all fairness, Mary-Kate might be acting weirdly and spitefully sometimes, but she's quite someone.

Her eyes met mine and I nodded slowly . "Yeah."

Her eyes widened somewhat. My heart was pounding in my chest and I was fidgeting with one of my rings. Time stood motionless and I would have done anything to be able to know what she was thinking about right now.

"May I?" She asked faintly. I looked back at her and gulped. I was trying my best to keep my breathing steady. 

"Sure."

She walked a few steps toward me until she was close enough to see the details from close. She placed her hands on the upper part of the dress, feeling the fabric from the black velvet to the tulles. 

I was looking at her hands as they were inspecting the dress. My breath hitched and I felt like I was suffocating. We were around the same height so it would only take us to raise our head to be face to face to each other, only a few inches apart.

"Breath" She said under her breath. 

I froze for a moment. "What?" I whispered. 

Slowly, she raised her head and looked up at me, her eyes locking with mine. 

I didn't notice it from afar, but she has a very thin little line in the inner corner of her left eye. 

"Breath" She repeated softly. I listened to her and let the air I had been holding in my lungs escape.