10

"Hey, Marric is it? What if we can't open the chest? Farrah asked. "Ash is unconscious and I have no idea where the boy is. What will you do?" She asked in a manner that was equally inquisitory as it was taunting. She looked to Ash. He was still unconscious, but like earlier his eyes were moving under his eyelids. This time they moved faster and more prominently. She noticed his right arm twitch, or at least she thought she did.

Marric fiddled with the chest. He waved his hands over it, trying to sense the magic that kept it sealed. He could feel the energy coursing around the chest. Although, he had learned a great deal about magic over the years, the magic of this chest was beyond his ability. He needed Euan to open it. He knew if he was unable to open the box, to get to the heart, he would not be able to fulfill his plan in the manner he had planned. It would not be as bloodless and many would die in the process. If Ash woke, he would have to fight him. He would not be able to keep the Hylaen soldier away from him for much longer without the added power of the dragon's heart. A scream came from the other side of the camp. "He's free". Marric moved quickly to where Ash was being held. As Ash came into view Marric saw in his hand a small steadily burning fire, which he then pressed into the wound on his leg. Ash gritted his teeth with an accompanying moan of pain.

"You can use magic?" Marric asked, momentarily shocked. "How? When?"

Ash looked up at him, his eyes red and bloodshot. "Euan" Ash replied, "Euan taught me, after I killed that damn dragon for you." Ash paused for a breathe, "He said it was a useful trick. He said that it might come in handy some day...and it appears as though it actually has..."

Marric's eyes flashed with excitement, "Where is Euan, Ash? I need to open that chest."

Ash checked the wound on his leg to make sure the flame had done its job and staunched the bleeding. It was blistered and sensitive, but at least it was no longer bleeding, he thought to himself, as he pressed his weight onto the leg to check for stability. "I cannot, nor even if I could, would I call Euan like he was a common servant. He is a friend. Much like you were once. You lying deceitful bastard," Ash said, his eyes locked on Marric.

Ash heard the rustle of leaves on the wind. He felt a gentle breeze blow from the east. He smiled.

"What are you smiling about Ash?" asked Marric, as he noticed the Hylaen soldiers closing in around Ash. "Stay where you are. I'll handle him. Secure the chest." The soldiers acknowledged the command and moved towards the chest leaving Ash to be dealt with by Marric.

Ash searched the area looking for his sword. It was stuck in the dirt a few feet from him. He could reach it if he moved quickly. But, he needed to distract Marric. He dropped down to one knee, holding the wounded leg as if in pain, his other hand hidden behind his back. He could feel the flicking flame of rage beginning to take hold within.

"Look at yourself Ash. You can barely stand. Stop this. Help me open the box... Give me the dragon's heart, and this will all be over," Marric said as extended his open hand.

Ash clenched his jaw and dropped his head. He could not reply. He was not nearly skilled enough to conjure the fire and carry on a conversation. To maintain any semblance of control required complete concentration on his part. Marric on the other hand, he knew, could recite several heroic epics while casting.

"Ash, I don't want to hurt you. I really don't. I didn't even want to hurt your woman. Even though she made me do so earlier. She really is quite the beauty. A fine spirit she has. It's a shame her people consider her a traitor for running away and abandoning her father... For trying to murder him... I wonder if all of these men would still show her their respect if I left them alone with her. Or, would they treat her like a royal whore?" Marric watched Ash to see his reaction. He remained silent, gripping his leg. His face gnarled.