"Enhanced senses are trademarks of a vampire," he began, hesitant, "but Rin is not one. I'd say we're looking at a hybrid."

I wasn't sure how I felt about that. At least, I wasn't dying.

"What about diet?" I asked.

"That's something we'll have to discover," the doctor replied. "We're in uncharted areas. As far as I know, a being like you has never existed. Now, there are parts of our history that have never been truly shared with the public and that's something King Lionel and Crown Prince Alexander would only know."

I swallowed thickly. "Does he know?" I asked. "Does Alexander know I'm awake?"

"I called on the way here," Dr. Daniels said. "I'm sure he's on his way as we speak."

"When can we take her home?" Dad asked.

"I want to keep her here to monitor her," Dr. Daniels began. "Once I get the results, we'll talk on how best to proceed."

"Will there be a regression?" Mom wanted to know.

"It's hard to tell," he said. "We'll need to keep a close eye on Rin."

"But how is all of this possible?" Dad asked. "I'm glad to see my daughter is well, but - she - she was -"

"Well," Dr. Daniels said, "hypothetically if a serum existed that could turn a vampire into a human then, I would have used that same serum to turn a human into a vampire." He stood. "I won't get into the details about it, but let's say it's a miracle."

Once my parents were sure I was out of danger - at the moment, I convinced them to go home. They left.

During that time, Dr. Daniels moved me to another room; one that looked more like a hotel room than a hospital room. When I asked about the sudden change, he answered "No harm in resting in a more comfortable room."

When my parents returned for dinner, they were in awe of the room.

"This is larger than our living room," Dad said.

"Don't be silly," Mom said. "I'm sure it's much bigger than that." She held up a bag of food. "Who's ready to eat?"

Sitting around my bed, they ate their club sandwiches and chips. The hospital had brought me my meal - soup and some Jello, but I didn't have much of an appetite. I wasn't hungry.

"It's so good to eat together again," Mom sighed. "I've missed this."

I smiled at her. "Me too," I told her.

"You're not eating," Dad said.

The crease between his brow was slight, but I saw it.

"I had some food before you arrived," I lied. "Don't worry about me. I know the two of you need all the nourishment you can get."

"We didn't skip meals," Mom began.

I gave her a look.

"All the time," she finished.

We laughed.

Dad cleaned out the trash after we finished our meal. A nurse removed the tray for me.

"Are you sure you don't want us to stay?" Dad asked. "We don't mind."

"Get some real rest," I replied. "I'll be here in the morning."

Dad handed me a tote bag. Grabbing it, I looked inside and saw a few coloring books, markers, and colored pencils. My chin trembled.

"Thanks, Dad," I rasped out.

About an hour later, they left and headed home. Feeling overwhelmed, I leaned back on the bed. Everything was so loud. A pair of noise-cancelling headphones would be good right about now. Maybe my parents could bring one with them tomorrow. I looked around for my cell phone but I didn't find it. I supposed my comfort would have to wait.

The sun gradually settled below the horizon. I took out one of the coloring books Dad had brought me and filled in a page at a time. The marker slid smoothly across the page. Before, I could have to think about what I was doing. Now, it was so effortlessly.

By midnight, I had finished a thick coloring book and started on the second one. Sighing, I closed the marker and looked at the clock. I should have been asleep by now. Yet, I was wide awake. Glancing at the door, I wished it would open.

That's when I sense him.

My whole body went on high alert. He was in a car. It pulled to the front of the building and he stepped out.

I bit my lip. What would he say when he saw me? I was different now. Would that matter to him?

Feeling silly, I shook my head. No, it wouldn't bother him just like it hadn't bothered me when he turned human.

Tensing, I waited as he moved through the building. Then, he was on my floor and walking toward my room. I looked down at my coloring book, nervous.

How long had it been since we'd last seen each other?

He stopped at the door and knocked. I clenched my jaw.

"Come in," I whispered.

The door opened too slow for my liking. Alexander walked into the room and stopped.

Our eyes met. Gosh. He was breathtaking. I could see him clearly. His shoulders were a little sagged and I saw a few wrinkles on his clothes - perhaps he hadn't changed in a day. But it didn't matter to me.

"Hi stranger," I said with a smile.

Alexander walked towards me. He fell to his knees beside the bed, his face pressed against the mattress.

"I thought I lost you." His voice trembled.

Feeling my throat close, I placed my hand on his head, running my fingers through his hair.

"You didn't," I told him. "I'm okay now."

He turned his head and looked up at me. "Are you?" he asked.

"Dr. Daniels is observing me," I said. "I feel okay. Well, better than okay."

Alexander took my hand and pressed his against his lips. "Your temperature is a bit colder," he muttered.

I bit my lip. "Yeah," I said, "I even knew when you got out of the car."

"Can I hug you?" he asked.

"Yes."

I had barely finished speaking when he threw his arms around me. I froze at the feeling of desperation in which he held me. Smiling, I relaxed into his arms.

"I'm okay now," I assured him.

"I missed you so much. Every time I came to see you, you were unconscious. I felt so hopeless."

I rubbed his back. "I'm okay now," I said.

"Don't ever scare me like that."

"I'll try not to."

"You better not."

I smiled into his shoulder.

In his embrace, I felt myself dozing off. I didn't have anything to worry about. Alexander would watch over me as I slept. He would keep me safe.