🎄It's Cold Outside On This Silence Night🎁

Start from the beginning

As he was sipping his wine, he looked around the room and noticed the sound of the front door opening and the sound of Mrs Kim welcoming Taehyung home.

Jeongguk looked over and saw a smile on the other's face. Maybe he did enjoy the date he went on. Taehyung looked really happy. Happier than he had ever seen him and Jeongguk remembered Mingyu's words. If he came home smiling, he enjoyed his date. Which meant he'd try another date with the same person.

There was a crowd forming around Taehyung by the front door, and Jeongguk took it as a chance to slip out onto their balcony to have some time to collect him.

It was cold out. Jeongguk was glad he wore a cardigan to the party. He saw the city lights and the sky, but the stars were hard to see since the city's light created light pollution. He saw the clouds and saw how they moved across the sky.

Jeongguk leant against the glass of the balcony's fencing and looked down at his own hands. He felt his tears start to build up and drip down his cheeks.

“I guess I was a coward,” Jeongguk muttered to himself. “I guess it's better to live in a dream, huh? Dreams aren't reality…but they don't hurt as much” He looked back to the city as he wiped his cheeks with the back of his sleeve.

“What doesn't hurt as much?” Jeongguk heard behind him. “Also Mingyu said you were looking for me”

Jeongguk recognised that smooth, deep voice he had fallen for many times. His eyes widened, but he kept himself facing away from the other. He didn't want Taehyung to see him crying.

“Oh! It doesn't matter, don't worry, T-Taehyungie hyung!” Jeongguk shook his head as he gestured to the other with his hand not to worry. His voice broke when he said the other's name, and he hoped the other didn't realize.

Jeongguk heard the sound of shuffling from behind him, and he assumed that the other left to go back inside. Jeongguk sniffed and looked down at his hands again. They looked a bit red from the cold air around him.

“Somethings wrong, Jeongguk, it does matter, whatever it is,” Taehyung replied as he stood beside the other. “I've known you for years now, I know when something is wrong and when you try to hide it..”

Jeongguk didn't dare to look up. He didn't dare reply. He didn't want to talk because if he did, he'd spill his secrets.

“It really doesn't matter anymore..” Jeongguk shook his head. He felt his heart ache at the mere presence with the other man.

“It matters to me,” Taehyung spoke firmly. “Now tell me”

Jeongguk gulped. He kept his eyes cast down at his hands. This was the moment that it would become real. The pain and ache would settle in his chest, and he'd be left to recover it on his own.

“I..I was told by Mingyu that you went on a sorta work date, sorta dinner date, date thing with a colleague and I had asked if you'd enjoy it and he said that..” Jeongguk laughed to himself. “.. Well, if you'd come home smiling, that meant you'd enjoyed it and.. in turn, that meant you'd date that person..” Jeongguk took a breath.

What he didn't realize as he was speaking was that Taehyung was looking at him with such loving eyes and a soft, fond smile.

“And..it doesn't matter what the matter is because.. I've been a coward about it and why I'm a.. coward is because I couldn't even tell you how I had fallen in love with you over the years, and just the thought of you dating hurts me, but.. it doesn't matter..” Jeongguk's voice cracked, and he covered his face with his hands.

“Jeongguk-”

“You..you don't need to say anything more, it's okay, just forget what I said.. forget me..” Jeongguk sobbed.