Chapter 4 - Being a Mistake

[Word count - 625]

Same day...

Location - The Infirmary

Your POV

I opened my eyes, and the first thing I see is the ceiling of a roof I am not exactly familiar with. I did my best to remember what exactly happened, but no matter how hard I try to remember, I just couldn't. I looked over, and a familiar person beside me.

"Rinko?"

It was Rinko. She was by myself this whole time? She seems to be asleep, and I shook her a bit to help her wake up. When she did, she looked happy to see me awake.

"Oh, you're awake... Thank goodness." She said.

"Hey... where am I?" I asked.

"You are... in the infirmary." She answered.

"The infirmary? How did I end up here?" I asked.

"You were... playing the piano, but... right when your song came to an end, you fainted in front of everyone." Rinko explained as I can see the sadness in her eyes.

However, her explanation was stuck in my head now, especially the part where she said that I fainted in front of everyone. That means... I also fainted in front of my parents.

"Wait, what about the competition? Who won?" I asked.

Rinko sighed as she held the trophy in her hands.

"It was me... I won." She said.

"Oh..."

"I'm sorry... If you didn't pass out, then... you could've won."

"But it did happened, and I let my parents down..."

"Your parents?"

I realized what I said and gave her an assuring smile.

"Oh, it's nothing. Don't mind me."

"Oh, okay..."

I know my parents are going to kill me after this.
_____________________________________________

A few days later...

Location - (L/N) Residence, Living Room

I had to rest for the next few days after collapsing in front of everyone like that. During that time, my parents didn't bother to check on me. I know they're secretly disappointed in me.

By the time I felt better, my parents called me over to the living room. I see them on the couch and the atmosphere has gotten super intense.

"Son, there is something we need to talk about." My father began.

"What is it?" I asked.

"We need to talk about what happened at the piano competition a few days ago." My father started.

"Tell us, why the hell didn't win?" My mom asked as she gave me the death glare.

"Well, it's because... umm..."

I try to speak, but sadly, I couldn't. Their death glares were making it very hard for me to say anything.

"What are you, a mute? Freakin' say something, (L/N)!" My father shouted, raising his voice at this point.

"I don't know!"

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"I fainted in front of everyone! Is that what you wanted me to say?"

My father got up and slapped me hard across the face.

"Raise your voice at me one more tell and you're getting the belt!" My father shouted.

"Sorry sir..."

"For your failure, you're going to have to make up for this, right?"

"Make up for it? How?"

"You're gonna be practicing directly after school with no dinner."

"And it's going to be like that until the next piano competition!"

"What? But that's like next year, though!"

"Yeah, exactly. We think it's fair that you should make up your mistake, because you are..."

That hit hard... I am a mistake to my parents, and... they are right... I'm a mistake, and that's all I'll ever be.

To be continued

A/N: Thank you so much for reading this chapter. I hope you guys liked it and I'll see you in the next one. :)

Next book to update: The Music of Destiny

Shout-out to Madison061085 and lightofyami0810 for becoming recent followers.