Isiah slowly nods his head, "that's alright, Dots. I thought it was coming." He opens his palm up, "friends?"

Dottie nods her head, taking his hand, "friends." She places the letter under her arm, "it's not like we won't see each other anyways. You'll still be around, won't you?"

"For sure. I told you the day you told me you'd was pregnant. No kid of mine will grow up without a dad."

Dottie presses a smile to her lips. She nods her head, "thanks," she says before she walks away, hearing the screams of Florence and Eliza playing outside with Polly.

Once alone in the sitting room, Dottie opens up the letter, sitting upon the sofa as her eyes skim over her brother's cursive writing.

To my older sister Thea,

I've gone to New York. Tommy's sent me. He offered if I wanted you to come, he asked me if I would take you and the girls, but I refused. Mum needs you. Isiah needs you, but you don't need me. You don't need to be at my beck and call, so I'll give you some peace.

I'm head of Tommy's new business in New York, going to make the family a lot of money, or so I hope.

I've been thinking, you deserve a rest. Maybe that's some time with Rosemary. I know your feelings have changed towards her, I realised when you called her Mam in the hospital. Not that I hold it against you. You promised you would introduce Florence to her, maybe it's the right time to do it.

Before you question it, I've had my break. Mum sent me away with the Boswell's. Mum's kin. Hated it there every minute, there's no phone and no one leaves you alone. They all stared at me like I'm different. A woman called Madame Boswell talked to me though. She said to tell you you're doing everything right, and to know that the Gray's aren't winning.
That doesn't mean anything to me, but maybe it does to you?

Thank you for saving me, every single time. You've been my big sister and my mum in one, and I couldn't be more grateful. Plus you've given me my two nieces. Please let them know that their Uncle Mickey will be bringing them toys home when he comes home.

I hope you don't hold this against me, Thea.

Lots of love,

Your little brother,

Micheal.

Dottie folds up the letter as she hears the pitter patter of bare feet knocking against the wooden flooring. The door is guest open as Eliza and Florence run in, with Polly chasing them behind.

"Save me, mama!" Florence cries, toddling away from Polly and smashing herself in to Dottie.

Dottie grins, standing up and whisking up Florence, "save you? From what, love? From Nana?" She asks, blowing a raspberry on Florence's cheek.

Florence giggles as Eliza squeals. Dottie eyes up Polly, who winks and opens up her arms. Within an instant, Dottie gently throws Florence to Polly.

"Nana!" Screeched Florence with laughter.

Eliza grins, "Mama! Come play! Come play!"

"Mama! Come play!" Florence repeats, kicking her legs in order to be let down, "Nana! Play time!" She demands as Polly bends down, planting Florence on her feet.

Dottie grins, allowing Eliza to lead the way to the garden. Their bulldog, Mabel named by Eliza, runs around after them, barking happily along with Eliza and Florence.

Life couldn't be better.

                                    —

Each family member takes it in turns to vote. They make sure to vote correctly, taking their time to cast their votes. Dottie is last. Her pen crosses over Tommy's name.

It takes a while for each vote to be counted. The family stand together, waiting for the votes to be called.

"Ronald Carr, Conservative, 3,412."

Dottie holds on to Florence, her free hand holding on to Eliza's hand.

"Bernard Hall, Liberal. 4,015."

Eliza looks up to Dottie, smiling at her mum. Dottie smiles back, squeezing Eliza's hand gently as Florence nestles her head in to Dottie's chest.

"Michael Ross, Communist. 6,406."

Dottie never thought Tommy would be running as a mp. She never once thought he would be wanting to go in to politics. She always thought Ada would be the one to delve in to politics.

"Thomas Shelby, Labour Party."

The family hold their breaths.

"48,564. I now declare Thomas Shelby to be the new Labour Member of Parliament for the constituency of Birmingham South."

The family cheer. Tommy holds a grin on his face. He meets up with Lizzie, taking a baby girl from her and throwing her in to the air. He catches her swiftly.

"Do you hear that, love?" Polly murmurs in to Dottie's ear. "It's a new life for all of us."