Chapter Six ☆

"But we cannot simply sit and stare at our wounds forever."

January, 2011
Nyxa

"Come in!"

Shoes on a wooden floor, the shutting of a door and a familiar presence. "Coulson," Nyxa greeted.

"Nyxa."

Phil Coulson, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D and a friend of Nicholas. Also known as the man who'd personally played a part in Nyxa Nova's rehabilitation into this new universe and life.

He'd popped by often. Nyxa still didn't know if he did it because he'd been tasked to or because he actually wanted to see and spend time with her. She was beginning to think it was the latter because he no longer really brought new news and lessons with him, just his company.

"The Doc said you're free to go on missions again," He informed her before she'd even had a chance to ask.

"That's what she said last time," Nyxa reminded him doubtfully.

"Unfortunately no one saw the multiple drownings and collapsed building coming."

Nyxa frowned like she often did at the mention of this topic. "In my- on my planet the heavier things are the slower they fall... and people can hold their breath much longer."

No one knew she was from another universe, orders of Nicholas. They were to say she was from a different planet. The Shadow Planet, Nicholas had called it-- much to his own amusement. He thought it would spare them having to give a complicated story for her powers and appearance. Plus this way she could still pretty much speak about her universe's customs and normatives without it being arbitrary.

"She said she was more thorough this time," Phil soothed. "And more confident."

Nyxa just took a deep and heavy breath. She'd been doing pretty well at pretending to be fine, make everyone think she was getting used to this world and that she was okay.
Yet each day that heaviness drew nearer and she found it more and more tiring to pretend.

"Fury's ready to have you working again."

"He couldn't tell me that himself?"

This was all so new to her and she still felt so lost. Nicholas was one of the few people she trusted fully and his presence always made her feel a little less alone, even if she'd never tell him that. Even Coulson, with his strange trading cards and friendly aura did little to fill the growing abyss in her chest and heart, though his company was something she often looked forward to.

"He's been a little busy."

Nyxa startled at the new voice in her apartment, Phil sending her a small smile and a nod before exiting.

"But I'll be sure to send your regards."

She couldn't help her smile as she turned to look at the man who'd just walked through her doorway, his usual dark coat and eyepatch so familiar in all of this that she fought tears.

"Nicholas," She said, voice a little more breathy than she'd like.
Blinking hard and fighting her desire to throw herself forward and hug him, Nyxa simply put her hands into her back pockets.

"Nova," The Director replied, voice kinder than it usually was. "They greet their guests with coffee where you're from?"

Taking a breath that for once didn't feel entirely like it was rattling around inside the emptiness of her chest, Nyxa really did smile. "They can." She made for the kitchen which was only a few steps away. "How do they take it where you're from?"