ishan shuts his phone and turns to confront shubman.

"oi," he says, nudging the guy.

shubman looks up at him from his phone.

"so, about what happened yesterday-"

"im sorry for leaving so abruptly," shubman says with a weary smile, cutting him short.

ishan wasn't expecting him to apologize. "it's alright. i was just worried about you spending the night out."

shubman rubs his neck awkwardly, "i came back after about twenty minutes...but you were gone."

an 'oh' escapes ishan's mouth. "i went to surya bhai. um, had some work."

"had some work....all night?" shubman asks, his eyes showing a subtle flash of hurt.

"i...i fell asleep there."

shubman nods without saying anything. ishan feels like he needs to clarify.

"look, i wasn't avoiding you or anything, okay? i thought you needed some time to yourself. if me not being in the room helped you to sleep..."

shubman shakes his head, chuckling. "you think too much. we've been roommates forever. and besides, no one can handle our sleeping habits but us."

ishan grins. "yeah. maybe i should have waited for you to return."

shubman takes a donut from ishan's tray, feeding him a bite.

"don't worry. i'll always return to you."

shubman is really excited about their series against new zealand.

they meet the kiwis at practice and exchange pleasantries.

"arreyyy, kane mama!" hardik calls out happily, picking up the captain for a hug. kane greets everyone with his ever present smile.

shubman likes the man. what an admiring sense of sportsmanship he's got.

surya's sharing a few strategic points with shubman and ishan when a voice calls out.

"yo, ishan!"

ishan turns to look at the person, waving brightly once he sees rachin. "hey hey! what's up, man?"

they fist-bump each other, followed by a side hug.

"all good, mate. fancy seeing you here! i got everything ready, y'know?" he says with a wink.

ishan pats his back, laughing. "great! bill's on whoever wins the series."

rachin gives a smug grin. "i prepaid it."

ishan ruffles his hair playfully. "getting cheeky, are we? don't you get ahead of yourself, though. we are more than ready to win every single one."

"chur! you're most welcome to try," he replies with a grin.

shubman watches the whole exchange in mild surprise. he didn't know ishan and rachin were on such good terms.

(and surya watches shubman in amusement.)

rachin greets shubman and surya just as enthusiastically. "you're totally cool on field, mate, by the way. i would love to take your wicket."

"you're most welcome to try," shubman quotes rachin with a wry smile.

"sweet then," rachin smiles as he shakes hands with him and surya as he's about to leave. "let's meet at ten, eh? i'll come to pick you up." he says to ishan.

"sure," ishan says, waving him goodbye.

"he's more social than he seems," shubman says once he leaves.