Chapter 13

‼️HEADS UP - trigger warning!‼️

Mack POV -

I walk to my desk and sit down, smiling at the photo.

I pick it up and stare at it.

'I miss her so much and can't wait to see her.'

I pull out my computer and watch as my students start piling in.

The bell rings and I stand up, "Morning, guys! How was the weekend?"

"So rad, Mrs. Hughes, we-"

Pop, pop, pop, pop!

"What was that Mrs. H?" Ryan asks.

"I have no-"

Pop, pop!

I hear screams and immediately head to the door, slamming the lock on and dropping the shade.

My mind is spinning when I jump into action.

"Alright guys, not a drill. Desks, furniture, in front of this door, now." I whisper yell.

They all stare at me in disbelief, "Guys! Now! I know you're scared, but let's move and then we will be safe."

They start moving desks and I push a bookshelf when I hear another gunshot and immediately feel a pain in my leg.

'Fuck. What the fuck was that?'

We get all of the furniture against the door and Mikey walks up to me, "Mrs. H? You're bleeding."

"Huh?"

I look down and see blood seeping through my jeans.

"Shit."

'Think. Think Mack. Your class is safe.'

"Okay guys, against the back wall, away from the door. They might come back and while we are barricaded, I don't want any of you to have this happen."

I look at my hands that are shaking.

'Stay strong, Mack. You got this.'

"Should you sit down, Mrs. H?"

I look up, "Uh, yeah. Probably."

I walk over and sit down, then take my belt off and wrap it above my knee to stop the bleeding.

"Wren, can you get me the first aid kit? Above your head. Is anyone else hurt?"

They all shake their heads and I nod.

Wren brings me the first aid kit and we hear gunshots again.

I hear screaming and my students cry, "Shh. Shh guys, we're okay, yeah? Police are coming."

"Mrs. H? That's a lot of blood."

I look down and sigh.

'Please let them be on their way.'

Alex POV

I cut left and get the ball in my left foot, then strike it, sending it into the back of the net.

"Buddy! You're on fire! Motivated to see your girls later this week?"

I smile and nod, "Totally."

We walk towards the middle, "Alright team, nice practice. Team on 3. 1, 2, 3, TEAM!"

I sit down and start stretching while drinking some water when I go to check my phone.

It starts blaring and I drop it then pick it up.