Prologue (Part 1): Iris

Iris watched as men came and went from Trishelle's room but sat silent. Her mother, Katrina, hid Iris' hair under a cap as a drunk man wobbled over. "Quiet, Iris, none must know you are a girl." Katrina whispered to her six year old daughter.

"How much?" The man, who looked like he would pass out soon, said as Katrina straightened her spin pulling Iris behind her.

"I am not a whore, but if you care for a drink I am happy to serve." Katrina bowed but the man grabbed her arm jerking her towards him.

"You will serve me anyway I tell you to." He threw Katrina on the bed and little Iris stumbled to the oak dresser.

"Mommy," Iris murmured as she picked up a knife from the table. Katrina struggled under the soldiers grasp as he tugged at her clothes. "Leave my mommy alone." With a tiny force Iris plunged a knife into the man's thigh. He screamed and grabbed Iris with his meaty hand.

"Let go of her!" Katrina grabbed a tray from her bedside and hit the soldier on the back of his head. The soldier fell to the ground with a thud just as two other guards came smashing through the door. Katrina held her daughter to her chest while shushing her.

"What happened here?" A guard asked and Katrina lowered her head.

"He attacked me and my... son" Katrina said soberly, she had killed a man. She knew there was no way she would survive.

"This is King Orion's man, the penalty for killing a guard, no matter the circumstance, is death. Kill the woman, take the boy to the work hall." The guard pronounced and Katrina's heart clenched. They would know Iris' secret, send her to be Orion's whore, Katrina wouldn't let that happen to her daughter.

"Run, now!" Katrina yelled pushing her daughter towards a hole in the wall. Iris slipped through with no difficulty but nothing could help her mother. A scream ripped out of Katrina as a sword plunged into her lower belly. Through the crack Iris saw her mother fall to the floor with tears in her eyes. Iris tried to scream but a hand covered her mouth, Trishelle scooped Iris into her arms and ran towards the open gates of the city.

"Find the boy!" The guard yelled but Trishelle continued to run. Trishelle made it far enough and Iris saw a man leaning on a tree with a sword at his hip.

"Trishelle, what is this?" Theorin asked his sister as she set Iris down, Iris hid behind her legs.

"The guard came into the wrong room. He went into Katrina's, she killed him. They would've discovered that her son was really a daughter." Trishelle took the cap off Iris' head and her chestnut curls fell.

"This does not concern us, Trishelle." Theorin shook his head at her.

"Train her, or take her to Mathias." Trishelle begged as Theorin sighed running a hand over his chin. Mathias would be good to her, she would be a servant girl but kept safe. But an urge to help the girl over took Theorin.

"Fine, but we must hurry. Orion's guards will know that you both are out of the city." Theorin grabbed the reigns to his horse, he helped Trishelle on, then handed Iris to her. "I'll meet you soon, go!" Trishelle kicked her heels on the horse as her arms held Iris in place. Theorin disappeared into the dark abyss of the woods and Iris found herself falling asleep as the horse galloped to an unknown destination.

-------

Iris held the sword with her hands as Theorin charged at her. The sound of clanging metal echoed through the cobble stone court yard. Theorin used his sword to trip Iris, she fell on her butt, and hit the cobble stone with her hand in anger. "You need to not let your anger get the best of you." Theorin stated helping her up.

"I will never be able to do this, I am not you Theorin." Iris looked at her feet, Theorin took her chin in his hand and tilted it up.

"You are not me, but you have the ability to be better, Iris. Let's go again." Theorin watched at the twelve year old girl took the sword off the ground and stood, ready to attack. Theorin felt protective over her, like he was her father. Six years and she's grown so much but she had more training to do before she was ready to serve King William the way he and his sister did.

--------

Iris kicked Theorin in the back and flipped in the air as he fell to his face. "It seems the student has surpassed the teacher." Trishelle laughed with Queen Arabella beside her. Iris wiped the sweat off her brow and Theorin stood wiping off his clothes.

"You have taught her well, Theorin." Arabella smiled at the young girl. Iris smiled back, confused on you the beautiful woman was. At twenty three years of age, Iris had never really stepped foot out of Theorin's estate. Except for a few missions that included sneaking around, stealing, and killing. She never usually had to talk to people, didn't need to recognize anyone unless important for her safety or the mission.

"Thank you, your highness." He bowed and Iris followed his lead, apparently she was important. "Does the King still not approve?"

"Yes," Arabella sighed. "But, this is necessary. Trishelle had told me you took an apprentice but I couldn't believe it was a beautiful young girl."

"My beauty is no match for yours, your highness." Iris responded, the woman had black, thick hair that was tied up and off her neck, she wore a beautiful royal blue dress that made her grey eyes stand out. Iris was slightly jealous, she had chestnut brown, curly hair, deep green eyes that Trishelle said she received from her mother. Iris could barely remember her mother but Trishelle would always tell her that she looked and had the courage of her.

"And I see Trishelle has taught you the ways of being a lady. Please, call me Arabella." Iris gasped, this was King William's wife... the Queen of StoneHaven. The Queen chuckled and winked at Iris."Let's keep your little discovery a secret."

"Shall we talk in my studies?" Theorin waved his hand to the open patio door and they walked inside. "Iris continue working on your coordination." Iris sighed and continued, she wanted to know what made The Queen come down here but listened to Theorin.