_________________________________________________

I'm home." Ember yelled as she removed her jacket and headed to the kitchen.

"Is that my baby girl?" Marina beamed and engulfed Ember in a bear hug.

"Hey Ma, what's for dinner?"

"Salmon and roasted vegetables." Marina said, doing a little dance while opening the oven.

" Marina said, doing a little dance while opening the oven

"And I've got the good stuff." Reggie walks in with a bottle of Chardonnay.

"This is why you're my favourite parent." Ember grabs the bottle and pours them all a glass.

"What am I, chopped liver?" Marina muttered while taking a sip.

"I really missed you both, though. How're things here?" Ember smiled at her mothers.

"Oh you know. Trying to fill the void you left in our hearts." Marina answered dramatically.

"And you wonder why you're her least favourite parent, you smother her. Em, hon, grab the plates and set the table while Marina and I bring the food." Reggie dismisses Ember.

She does what she's told, and soon enough, the three ladies were enjoying a delicious meal.

"So...tell us everything. How is work?" Marina, clearly on the verge of being drunk, acting like a high school gossip girl.

"It's been interesting. Definitely different from the academy, but I love it." Ember smiled as she thought of her work.

"I expected as much. Back in the army it was similar. No two days alike. Just gotta be able to adapt."

"Exactly." Ember was relieved that she had someone who understood what she was going through.

"I don't care about the workload. I wanna know about the man you're riding, Officer Bradie." Marina giggled, swaying in her seat.

"Nice to know how much you care for our child's welfare." Reggie rolled her eyes.

"Firstly, it's Bradford." Ember started explaining, before Marina interjected.

"That's what I said, Officer Bedford."

"Never mind. Secondly, he's not the man I ride, he's the man I ride with, emphasis on with." Ember said, trying to get her point across with heat rising up her neck and face, which didn't work, as Marina thought she was blushing and started shrilling.

"Oh My Norns, you love him!" Marina stands up and pulls the sitting Ember towards her chest and holds her there, while repeating what she said like a mantra.

"Marina, you're suffocating the child." Reggie said, looking onto the scene like this wasn't the first time happening. Ember gasped, trying to inhale as much air as possible, and also gather herself from the chaotic situation that was clearly getting out of hand.