7 • Nico can be nice?

Start from the beginning

From the explanation, I learned more about the hierarchy of vampires and demons. Apparently there are 5 ranks for both of them.

Low-class being bottom of the barrel. Mid-class just a bit better. High-class considered way better. Elite-class being composed of 'nobles'. And finally, at the top, the kings and queens.

The vampires call the first four of their kind 'royals' and put them on a pedestal. They each represent one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. You know, Fury, Strife, War, and Death.

The demons have seven leaders known as the 'seven princes of hell'. Each one representing one of the seven deadly sins.

Nico then emphasized how big of a deal it is that the contractor of one of those seven is coming here.

"I'm just hoping that this whole thing won't bring some problematic people here." Nico sighed, opening the door to the Cafe.

I'm guessing he means even more dangerous supernaturals.

"What do you usually get here?" Nico asked, changing the subject.

"I get green tea and tres leches cake. You?"

"Pumkin spice coffee and macarons."

"Oh! What kind of macarons?! I personally like-" A memory of the past cuts me off.

"Huh? Anime? No-one cares about those weird cartoons. Don't get all excited over stupid shit; and quit talking about it so much, it's annoying."

...Right, I almost did something annoying.

"...I like the vanilla and salted Carmel the most. What about you?" He replied.

"O-Oh, uh, my favorites would be the Red velvet and pistachio ones."

"Nice picks. Wanna get some?" He asked me with his usual disinterested expression, but there was a different vibe about him, more... comfortable to be around.

"I-Is that really okay?"

"Yeah, on me."

I still shouldn-

"It's okay, I promise." He reassured.

.....

"...Okay, sure. Thank you..."

"No problem." He smirked. The small smile just barely noticeable.
.
.
.
.
.

We had our fill of the food and left. Now we are on our way to the second and last destination of the places I frequent.

The manga shop.

"I know, you probably find this stupid." I muttered.

"Not at all. I actually read novels myself."

"Really?" I questioned, surprised.

"Yeah, I'm currently reading one called 'The Beginning After The End'. I haven't fully caught up yet, but it's a good read."

"I'll remember that, haha." I laughed happily.

So we have similar interests.

Walking into the shop, we looked around. Nico found out that the novel he was reading actually had a manwha adaptation, though it was pretty far behind.

Hm? Oh! The new jjk volume!

I rushed and picked it up.

I have to read this!

"Want it?" Nico asked.

I jumped from his sudden appearance.

He's not asking so he can buy it for me, is he?

"Y-Yeah, I plan on buying it..."

"I'll buy it for you." He suggested.

"W-What? No way! I can buy it myself." I rejected.

"...Let me buy it." He insisted.

"But you already paid for both of us at the cafe. At least let me pay for this."

"It's fine. No big deal."

"B-But-"

"I don't mind just letting you have it." The shop owner suddenly interjected.

"Huh?" Me and Nico both questioned.

"You frequent my shop a lot, I don't mind doing this for ya." He added.

"Seriously?" I questioned further.

"Yeah, take it." He then started pushing me out of the shop. "I have some recommendations for your friend, so you should wait outside."

"I don't see why-" Nico started.

"Come on! I have some good ones for ya!" The shop owner interrupted, putting a hand on Nico's shoulder.

Before the entrance door closed, I saw Nico with a puzzled expression.

.....

I guess I'll just wait.

After a bit, Nico walked out of the shop with a sigh.

"You okay?" I asked, a bit worried.

"Yeah. Let's just head to the orphanage now."

"Oh, uh, sure thing."

...So we're really going there... I'm feeling a lot more nervous than before.

Inhale.

Exhale.

I'll be fine. Nico is here with me. I'll be okay.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Time to start confronting my past. At least I can tell my therapist I'm finally making some progress.
___________________________________________

Manga shop owner: