27. September. 2277 - James Matthew Davis

Start from the beginning

"Still working in here?" Dr. Holt, is it not? When I turn, it seems I was correct, and the tall, sour faced blonde woman is standing in the doorway. "You've been here for nearly six hours, Dr. Davis."

"I've only made my way through the first two filing cabinets. There are still nearly twenty more to go through," I calmly explain. "I'm not preventing anyone from getting work done in here, am I? If so, I can leave for now."

"You're not preventing anyone from doing anything," She says, tapping her heels impatiently. "I just happen to find this persistence of yours pointless. Most of what's here is junk anyways."

"Though not what I was looking for, I've actually compiled a few files of information I find useful," I reply. "If it's alright, I would like to be able to take them with me for further reading later."

"Have at it," She says, rolling her eyes. "Finally, someone is decluttering around here. I always tell Albert to, but he doesn't listen, would rather tinker."

"Thank you, Dr. Holt."

I offer her a small smile to which she narrows her eyes before slamming the door shut and walking off down the hall. She seems quite strained, and I suspect it is in part due to the rather strange man who comes in and out of the laboratory complex. His vexing of Madison has, reasonably, led her to completely refusing to speak with him and, as the job has fallen to Dr. Holt, I can only imagine the frustration she faces at least a few times a week. He is a peculiar fellow, and never seems to go anywhere without his bodyguard. Armitage, I believe his name is, and he, too, is peculiar albeit in a much more threatening and menacing manner. His demeanour is almost robotic and, perhaps even more pertinent, he is a rather violent person or, at the very least, fantasises about violence quite a bit. The city's chief of security, Harkness, has more than once been called in to ensure no one in the laboratory complex is injured by the man. They have been around less, these past few days, which seems to be something of a relief to everyone. Far be it from me to complain about being able to spend more time working with no distractions other than those created by my own mind.

Catherine, I do wish I could hold you securely in my arms, keeping you and your fragile body but strong mind safe, protecting you as I had always intended. I never stopped writing, as you always asked me to keep writing. Even here, now, I still have a few of the diaries I have kept over the years. They are, truly, one of the few things I still have of you and nothing hurts more than the letter, the one I never got around to writing for you to read when, after our child was born, you were back on your feet. What I did write I feel rather guilty about, because it put so much more on you than you ever should have felt the pressure of, especially after you had left me, left us all and went into the unknown life after death. Truly I am embarrassed by it, by the demands I put on you when I should have known it was more important to lay you to rest, beautiful as ever, and raise to our child, our daughter, our dancing princess to be as kind, gentle, and intelligent as you. My lamentations were selfish, I know it to be true now. Catherine, I hope you can forgive me. For my words. For my thoughts. It was so soon after you passed, so soon after Annie was born...

19. August. 2258.

Well, here we are, nestled all safe and snug inside Vault 101. It is so cold down here, colder still without Catherine, with her gone...oh Catherine. I so wish you were here with me. How the hell am I supposed to do this by myself? Live down in this hole? Take care of our daughter? But this is our life now, so I suppose I had better get used to it. The overseer who runs the place is an overbearing bully, but I've dealt with worse. Star Paladin Cross did her best, convinced him to let us in. But I do not know what to do now. I have been assigned to a team in the medical wing of the Vault. Dr. Jonas Palmer, whom, from my few interactions with him, is a kind hearted and brilliant man. Dr. Roslyn Chambers, whom, though it took me by surprise, is much like myself – focused, calm, methodical. Though I cannot say I have been calm much of late. Every time Annie cries, I panic. Even if it is something so normal for an infant, such as simply needing a bath, a bottle, or her nappies changed, I panic when she cries.