4. dang veggies

Start bij het begin

"oh my gosh," she echoes. "you got his number?"

"uh huh..."

ok, i guess. hbu?

he shows ashley before he hits send. "is this okay?"

"yes, ty, that is a very normal thing to say. don't overthink it."

but that's what he's best at. tyler hesitates a second longer before hitting send and quickly setting his phone face-down on the table. just as he stuffs the last bite in his mouth, his wrist vibrates again.

josh 🧸
ok too. can i grab lunch w you guys today?

tyler could scream. he regrets ever inviting josh to hang out with them. why did he do that? now he'll have to face the boy he can't get his mind off of. he asks ashley, secretly hoping she'll say no, but she just says, "of course he can."

kk meet you there at 12?

josh 🧸
ok see you then

tyler notices it's already 9:10. he needs to leave if he wants to get to class early! he rushes his dishes to the kitchen, scrubbing them clean as fast as he can before running upstairs. he feels a lot better after eating and the medicine is probably helping too. his belongings are all stuffed into his backpack in a rush before he's running back downstairs, saying bye to ashley, and speed-walking out the front door. he decides to send his friends a quick text.

josh is joining us for lunch pls don't be weird

tyler's first class is over before he knows it and the second class goes by just as quickly. he's excited because he's all done with classes for the day and doesn't have to work later. that means he can go back home after lunch, do his homework, then let himself regress and forget about the world. for that reason, tuesdays and thursdays are definitely his favorite days of the week this semester.

it's 11:55 by the time he gets out and he begins making his way to the dining hall. he gets there a couple minutes late but knows his friends won't mind. josh hadn't texted him which felt a bit weird, but he understands why as he spots the boy already sitting at a table with the rest of tyler's friends. gosh, he hopes they haven't said anything embarrassing.

he approaches the table timidly, greeting his friends with a smile before he allows himself to look at josh. he's got two nose rings in on either side of his nose today instead of the just one tyler had made note of previously. his curls aren't covered by a hat today, unkept black locks swirling around his head. he's wearing a blink-182 shirt today. gosh, does he wear anything other than band tees?

the five of them grab lunch—tyler's consisting of pasta, a garlic breadstick, and a teensy tiny serving of green beans. he wanted josh to know that he does eat his veggies! plus, he knew ashley would pester him if he didn't have any on his plate. he gets apple juice to drink, of course, joining ryan who is already sat at the table.

"did you guys say anything about me?" tyler mumbles, nervously jabbing at his pasta with his fork.

"of course not, ty. we just talked about last night."

tyler nods, believing him. he starts eating as the rest of his friends join and josh sits directly across from him. the brunette sinks into his seat slightly, feeling anxious with the chestnut eyes watching him. there's a comfortable silence between them until ashley speaks up.