✧ 1.

ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴜꜱᴛʟᴇ ᴏꜰ ɪɴᴀᴢᴜᴍᴀ was ever present as the day wore on. On the main boulevards, merchants danced their flyers and called their throats sore, attracting onlookers and customers to sell their products and make revenue. All that could be heard was disjointed noise and chatter, but that was to be expected.

With all the distractions present, it was easy for the unseen shadows to slip in and out of the various alleyways and skitter across roofs. One would never expect to see criminals act so bluntly in the light of day, but that was exactly why they operated so. Besides, the sun was going down and one man couldn't possibly fight them all off in near obscurity.

The assassins were certainly skilled, as they knew exactly where to look. Near this time under an evergreen willow tree, a certain blue haired man was bound to appear: their target. He was regarded as the most powerful man in modern Inazuma, holding influence in the fields of commerce to corruption, and even to the black market. After all, hush money was the easiest money.

To the assassins' collective delight, not only was their victim out in the open, he was also alone, devoid of his pesky guard dog. Without a certain cloaked samurai around, the job would be quick an easy, like stealing candy from a child... or so they thought.

Upon the first lounge of a blade, each criminal knew that they'd made a mistake. With a clang and an envoy of red-hot sparks, the sword was knocked out of the first assassin's hand, flying feet away and burying itself in the soft, dusk mud.

Before the attacker could react, a metal studded katana hilt flew to meet their face, breaking their nose and incapacitating them. No wonder the commissioner had looked so at ease under that tree. It was because he knew his bodyguard was around.

The last thing many of the lawbreakers saw flit into their vision was a bamboo hat and a blur of monochrome robes before each had either their throats slit or their consciousness forcibly beaten out of them. A once simple stab-and-go job had quickly turned into a bloodbath as every single threat was wiped from the area.

No sane man would've been able to anticipate, much less react, to this attack in time, but alas, he had been trained to expect the unexpected. (M/N) straightened up, wiping his brow and gazing at the fugitives before turning to face his master, "Are you alright, master Ayato?"

"Not a single drop of blood on me," Ayato responded, humming as he stepped over the bodies to get to his bodyguard's side. He was completely unperturbed by this, well, who wouldn't be after 10 years of assassination attempts? He reckoned he owed his life (multiple times) to (M/N).

"We should leave," (M/N) said in a hushed tone, putting a hand on the small of Ayato's back to guide him forwards, away from the grizzly crime scene, "It's not safe here, there might be more of them." The touch sent shivers down the younger man's spine, making him avert his eyes as he cleared his throat to hide his blush.

"Quit worrying so much," Ayato said offhandedly, hoping the pink on his cheeks was invisible, "Even if there were more, I could handle them myself. It's not like you're the only one trained in sword combat." (M/N) considered this for a moment before sighing and removing his hand from his master's back. Ayato wished he could've kept it there longer.

"I suppose you're right, but we should still head back," (M/N) grumbled, his (E/C) eyes darting quickly around the scene, making sure there were no eavesdroppers, "I'll send some men to come clean up this place." Ayato nodded his assent before walking back in the way of the Kamisato Estate. His bodyguard followed in his wake, making sure he didn't trip.

Soon enough, the pair were stepping over the threshold of the property. Ayato watched as (M/N)'s posture relaxed slightly in the safety of the walls, his sharp eyes going soft as he stretched out his hands and arms. Sometimes, he found it difficult to believe the two had been working together for over a decade now.