Chapter 4: The Mines of Moria

"Mother of Ilúvatar." You breathe seeing the vaulted ceilings, which could probably fit the Citadel of Minas Tirith, inside.

"This is just the foyer, Lass, wait until you see the rest." Gimili says proudly.

You try to imagine how Moria would have been in the Second Age when there was trade with the Elves. So how did they lose this place that they had to send a team to retake it? You think, imagining the bustling trade, and better lighting.

As you follow Gandalf and the others deeper into the mines, you have your hand rested on the pommel of your sword, ready to draw at a moment's notice.

At times the air smells musty, like it has been shut up for days on end. While at other times, you can smell fresh mountain air, and feel a cold draft from somewhere.

The trek continues for a couple of days, until you reach some very steep steps, at the top of which is a three-way junction.

Pippen slips going up the steps.

You grab his forearm in time, righting him, so he won't crack his head.

"Are you alright?" You ask, letting go of his arm.

"I am now. Thank you, y/n." He says, catching his breath.

"Anytime." You say, having him walk ahead of you until he caught back up with the others.

Something flickers in the corner of your gaze, far below the stairs.

You slowly reach for your bow.

They're two large glowing eyes. They strike you as predatorial, but not like an Orc or Goblin. No, you've fought enough to recognize them.

The creature's gaze doesn't strike you as if you're on the menu, but you get the suspicion, that ever it is, is seizing you up.

"Y/n, might I have a word with you and Frodo?" Asks Gandalf.

"Be there in a second." You say, flicking your gaze to the top of the stairs.

Even though it was a split second, whatever had been staring you down, had vanished.

"Get a hold of yourself, y/n. jumping at shadows, seeing things, what's next? Seeing the Nazgûl in your soup?" You mutter, ascending the remaining stairs.

"Right here, sir." You say, taking a seat by Gandalf and Frodo.

Gandalf is smoking his pipe. The smell of burning pipeweed makes your nose tingle slightly.

"The creature Gollum has been following us for three days." Gandalf says.

You blink. "I'm going to need a touch more information than that."

"Gollum used to be one of the Riverfolk. A race similar to Hobbits. He found the ring and kept it in his possession for a few centuries. The ring corrupted his mind, but I think he would have gone willingly anyway." Gandalf explains.

At this point, you wish you had a hot cup of tea for the occasion.

"He had the ring until its allegiance changed to Frodo's uncle Bilbo. That is part of the adventure with Thorin and Company, of which I may explain at a later time. Now the ring was with Bilbo for about seventy-seven years, Gollum was captured by the enemy, and taken to Bara-dûr."

You feel a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach. You had heard stories of what happened to Gondorians that went into Minas Morgul. You don't want to even imagine the torment that awaited someone who went to Bara-dûr. The very Fortress of Sauron himself.

"Under interrogation, Gollum revealed two words."

"Shire and the name Baggins. That's why Sam and I had to leave home." Frodo says.