II. ᴇꜱᴄᴀᴘᴇ

Start from the beginning

Sung-hyo had always been like that; never liking staying still for long, especially when her mind was thinking so much. Heck, she even tosses and turns when she sleeps.

Ji-ji entered, carrying a tray of food. "Sorry I took so long, there's apparently a lot of injured folk here that needed the food before you."

"There are people who had is worse than being shot in the side?" Sung-hyo chucked. "Imagine that."

"Here, eat up," Ji-ji said, placing the tray on the table next to Sung-hyo and wheeling it over so it was over the girl's lap.

Sung-hyo began eating, despite not being very hungry. Ji-ji, however, insisted she get something in her stomach while the drugs from the surgery were leaving her system.

Sung-hyo took out a piece of the egg in her mouth, "The cook's not that good. This is the shell."

"Extra protein," Ji-ji shrugged, making the pair laugh.

"Did they say how long I'll be here?" Sung-hyo questioned, her spoon dripping with soup. "I wanna see everyone again."

"Hey, hey, spoon over the bowl," Ji-ji moved his sister's hand so she wouldn't stain her hospital gown with food. "I can ask when I deliver the tray back, how about that?"

Sung-hyo nodded, going to take another bite of food.

BOOM!

Sung-hyo and Ji-ji turned to the noise, which had sounded very faint.

"What was that?" Sung-hyo asked.

"I have no idea," Ji-ji replied, now seeming very worried.

He stood up, heading for the door when it burst open, making Sung-hyo jump and spill the soup on her spoon onto the blanket on top of her.

A soldier stood at the door, looking worried, but was trying to hide it with anger... or was it determination?

"You two need to get to the eastern side of the parking," the soldier instructed. "There's a vehicle there waiting for you, which will transport you to another safe zone. Go!"

"What's happening?" Sung-hyo asked.

"No time to explain," the soldier responded. "Get to the parking area now!"

Ji-ji didn't waste any time, grabbing Sung-hyo from the bed and running out of the room, carrying his sister in his arms while her arms were wrapped around his neck.

As they ran through the multiple corridors and hallways, an alarm started sounding, red lights started to flash on the walls and more people joined in the escape, all of them scared and panicking. 

Ji-ji's grip on Sung-hyo grew tighter, determined to not lose her through this panic.

There was another boom, but this one sounded closer and caused a few people to scream. Sung-hyo watched as Ji-ji carried her past this mother with a newborn baby and a middle-aged man with a bandage over his left eye.

"Ji-ji..." Sung-hyo said, but didn't know what else to say.

However, Ji-ji knew what she was trying to say to him, "It'll be okay. I promise."

It didn't take that long to find the eastern parking area, seeing as everyone was running to it.

Ji-ji spotted a vehicle nearby, filled with survivors already, while two soldiers were helping to get more of the injured into the backs and seating areas as quickly as possible. 

Ji-ji began heading towards the vehicle, still holding his sister in his arms... which was when everything suddenly became worse.

The ceiling collapsed nearby, and four giant, rock-like monsters appeared, roaring loudly. Everyone panicked even more, heading for the vehicles as quickly as they could. Pushing and shoving and screaming.

Ji-ji seemed to be the only one who saw the monsters heading toward the vehicles. He turned, heading for a small military jeep that was away from everyone else. Sung-hyo watched in horror as the other survivors seemed to scatter in fear and panic, while others were trampled on by the monsters.

They made it to the jeep, which was luckily unlocked. Ji-ji quickly but carefully set Sung-hyo down on the passenger seats in the back of the jeep, before he quickly got into the driver's seat. He turned the key that had (miraculously) been sitting in the key slot, bringing the engine to life.

Full tank. Good.

"Put your seatbelt on," Ji-ji said to his sister before putting his foot on the gas.

Sung-hyo tried to keep herself upright as Ji-ji started driving to an exit he'd found up ahead, barely managing to avoid the jeep from being grabbed by one of the monsters. They made it out, driving through the small barrier and past the soldiers shouting at them to stop. 

Ji-ji's grip on the wheel was probably as tight as it had been when he had been carrying Sung-hyo through the corridors. They made it onto a road nearby, which they began to follow up and over a small hill. 

Sung-hyo slowly turned back to where they'd been minutes ago, careful to not hurt herself as she turned. An explosion came as she finally got a full view of the former safe zone, lighting up the night sky for a few seconds.

"It's okay, Sung-hyo," Ji-ji assured, looking at her through the rearview mirror. "You've still got me. And I promise I'll be there for you. Keeping you safe is the only job I have left in this world."

Sung-hyo nodded, feeling slightly more at ease that she still had her brother.

She hoped everyone else was okay.

Ji-su.

Eun-yu.

Su-yeong and Yeong-su.

Hyun-su...

She hoped all of them were okay and safe.

Whatever happened next, she hoped they'd see each other again one day.

______

Mills says!

Fun fact! Ji-ji carrying Sung-hyo was loosely inspired by Joel Miller carrying his daughter Sarah in TLOU Episode 1. 

That scene broke me btw...