𝙋𝙄𝙏𝙔 𝘼𝙉𝘿 𝙎𝙊𝙍𝙍𝙊𝙒

Start from the beginning

"I call bullshit on this one." Honestly, it was the least I could do, considering the advice I had received not to divulge any more information. A curse of doom would be eagerly welcomed right at my feet. If the warning to remain vigilant was indeed accurate, then I had no choice but to place my trust in Coriolanus until the rays of sunshine were no longer available.

As anticipated, the day unfolded towards its inevitable conclusion, with everyone served a meal to ensure a restful night's sleep. Following Snow's request, he took care to ensure I was well-fed, aligning with the Peacekeepers' knowledge of our meeting and confirming that Snow would only arrive once everyone was genuinely asleep. It struck me that he had orchestrated this plan all along. Despite my initial hope for fair treatment, the training and the public airing from the outset fueled suspicions. I began to entertain the notion that back home, my family might have nothing to fear, as we seemed to be under Snow's complete control, even if it meant earning more than just basic sustenance.

x

Following a rewarding training session with Swan, Coriolanus found his thoughts consumed by her. Her manner of speaking echoed the same tone Lucy used with him, yet there was a nuanced distinction in the way she looked at him. Her gaze held a blend of agony, a struggle to maintain sanity amidst the dangers surrounding them, yet it also emitted emotions he struggled to articulate. It felt gentle and delicate, creating an envy within him for even just another hour to spend in her presence, even if it meant to merely observing her. In their silent exchanges, the absence of words proved enough for both to find a sense of security in each other's company.

His fixation on her intensified, with Tigris calling out his name at night, serving as a reminder that if he ever crossed the threshold into love, as his father once did, Swan's privacy would become a distant concept. Swan would be intricately woven into his life, entangled within his grasp. Unfazed, he disregarded any concerns, determined to make her his, even if it meant sacrificing certain life pursuits. If not for Lucy Gray, then it would be for Swan. "It's a commitment I am willing to take." That was his sole response, his grandmother standing by his side, observing the boy she had educated and was now prepared to support, regardless of the decisions he made. After all, she was a woman of old traditions. Ultimately, if it meant returning to a life of luxury and bestowing upon the family a respect that even Panem itself would acknowledge, she did not object to her grandson's choices.

On that particular night, as everyone slumbered within the Snow household, Coriolanus barely registered his dinner. Hastily gulping down the now cold soup and savoring the fresh bread from the Academy, he donned his most fitting attire to alleviate the responsibilities of being a mentor to his tribute. At least, he hoped it would suffice for now. He chose to wear his father's blouse—the same one worn during the reaping ceremony. It struck a balance between casual and professional, ensuring that the display of power and wealth remained unmistakable.

While the Capitol assumed an oddly eerie atmosphere at night, where the undesirable aspects of society often unfolded, Coriolanus had grown accustomed to it. His eyes scarcely acknowledged the struggles of the poorest citizens scraping for food or the meager pennies he could spare. As he neared The Academy, the lights illuminated the surroundings once night descended. The institution had been a crucial source of income during the Darker Days and retained its significance. Coriolanus felt a genuine appreciation for his position, recognizing that if it meant enduring additional challenges until he reached the status of President, he needed to relish every fleeting moment offered to him. But he was more eager to tell Swan what he had in plan.

As he strolled through the Academy's yard, a wave of relief washed over him upon spotting the same Peacekeeper overseeing the Zoo. Approaching the guard, he received a simple nod of approval, signaling that all was well. Drawing closer, he found Swan peacefully asleep under Panem's stars. "She has been fed as requested." The Peacekeeper informed Snow, further easing his concerns. Trusting someone within the Academy over a potentially foolish Peacekeeper was a calculated decision, and he cared little if anyone, even Dr. Gaul, discovered it. The unfortunate Peacekeeper would face execution at dawn, but that was not Snow's concern. It never had been.