5 - i wanna dance with somebody!

Start from the beginning

"Who's in for Rage Cage?", I yelled over the music that was playing, and soon I found Beth, Katie, Steph and Kyra next to me, with other girls slowly coming over to watch us play. I put beer into each of the cups and arranged them into the right set-up.

"How d'you even play that game?", Katie asked, and I quickly realised I'd need to explain the rules, not sure if I was sober enough to do so.

I glanced at her, and the other girls around us.

"Uhm, okay, so Beth and I would start. You drink the cup in front of you, then bounce the ping pong ball into the empty cup. Once you do so, you place the cup left to you into the empty cup and it's the next person's turn. Once one ball reaches the other, you have to drink the full cup right here, in the middle."

Katie looked at me, her eyebrows furrowed as if I'd spoken Spanish.

"Let's just start, you'll get it."

20 minutes and many beers later, I declared myself the rage cage winner. Most of my teammates, except for Steph and Kyra, did in fact not get it and that left them downing endless cups. I was practiced in the game, it was Syd and mine's favorite during our breaks from football.

I stumbled over to Leah, the world shaking around me. I felt light on my feet, swaying softly from left to right as I listened to the Abba song in the background, and I reached for her shoulder the second I felt our feet touch. My fingers tingled.

"You're drunk", she stated, an amused smile on her face. I nodded, grinning.

"You're very drunk", she stated again, her smiling growing, and so did mine.

"Aren't you?", I asked, slightly disappointed at the fact that she was so much more sober than I. Wasn't she having fun? Was the party boring? Was I wasted to the point it was embarrassing?

My hand was still on Leah's shoulder, and when her own fingers reached up her shoulder to grab it, I was scared she was going to pull away. But she didn't. Instead, her fingers lay softly on top of mine. I looked into her blue eyes. Expecting her to say something. Anything.

But she stayed silent, simply shaking her head.

"Not as drunk as you are", she laughed, and I was glad I could make her laugh. Even if she laughed about me. I'd made her laugh. That was enough in my eyes.

"That's a shame!", I slurred slightly and pulled her shoulder towards me, walking her into the kitchen. Her fingers soon intertwined with mine, and I pulled her softly behind me, leading her through the crowd of girls.

"What d'you want?", I sing-sung. She laughed again. I'd made her laugh.

"I'd like on of your fancy mixes", she announced and watched as I attempted to unscrew the Malibu bottle, clearly struggling to do so. When I finally managed, I reached for a glass, but slightly missed it. God, I was so gone.

"Here, let me", Leah offered, reaching for the glass on her own but I nudged her side with my waist, wanting to do this for her.

"No, no it's fine", I held the glass as far as I could away from her, but she soon grabbed my waist from behind, pulling me into her. My back connected with her front and I felt the pulse in my whole body. We were frozen for a second, and I wanted nothing more than to stay like this, but Leah soon pulled my extended arm back and we struggled a little, laughs leaving both of our bodies.

"Let me", Leah demanded again but I had already poured the liquor, to almost half the glass.

"Williamson, you've got to catch up", I sighed as she finally let go of me and watched me fill the glass with cherry juice.