Your hands get shaky, the compressions becoming sloppy as you force yourself to keep going. "Tails, please- Please..." You look down on him with pleading eyes, his voice echoing in your head...
'I'm gonna protect you this time.'? But at what cost? Sacrificing yourself for your enemy!?

You lean down again, your lips trembling as you're about to give him another puff of air before water is blasted in your face. He starts coughing the water in his lungs up, effectively spitting seawater in your mouth.

You stumble back, spitting the water out frantically and blowing air out of your nose trying to get it out.

Tails leans up with a hand holding his chest as his coughing calmed down. He looks over at you vacantly, his mind trying to start back up as he begins getting a grip on the surroundings. "What happened-?"

You wipe your face, clearing away the remains of water as you look at him. You feel your heart swell in relief as you reach a hand onto his shoulder. Words escape you as you hang your head, the faint warmth of his body comforting you as you internally celebrate.

I saved someone. I didn't fail this time- I did it-!

Tails blinks a few times, his eyes getting a little larger as he realizes its you with him. "The facility- Right-" His brain traces over the events again... The explosion... Being unconscious.... Coughing up seawater...

Seawater...

Drowning....

... resuscitation...

...

...CPR . . .

His cheeks go a little red, a finger tracing over his lips as he puts two and two together. "Umm- thanks for the assist there... East-?"

Your ears perk up as your gaze meets his, "Yeah-"
Your eyes trace over his lips for a second, a shallow breath escaping yours. You look at your hand still gently on his shoulder before you gulp heavily, your face flushing as you shoot your gaze away and snatch your hand back...
"Yeah. Don't mention it..."

Tails looks over to you awkwardly, playing with his fingers for a moment before a sneeze bursts out. He sniffles quietly, wiping his nose with his glove, removing it from his hand. "Eww.. Should've packed some spares..."

"Don't be stupid, the backup pair would be just as wet as those, snot or not." You peer around, a gentle ray of light coming in from a crack high in the apparent cave. You tisk your tongue, "We probably got pulled underwater and spat out here. You could fly up to that crack but I doubt that you'd be able to drill through rock face."

Tails taps his chin lightly, looking around the cave as well. "Well we shouldn't dilly dally too much, we're likely to starve long before anything else-" He sneezes again, stumbling back a few steps. "-gets us..."

You look at him pensively as a chill also moves into your fur. "Hypothermia will get us first if we can't figure out how to warm up quickly." You kick at the thin layer of water on the ground, "Even if we stacked some rocks to get out of the water would be an improvement."

Tails nodded, "Then what are we waiting for?"

The two of you scour the open cave for any rocks you could easily move, a decent amount of medium sized rocks having been weathered to a flat surface from the water. Bit by bit you grab and stack them, the water level getting more and more shallow before you form a platform raised up. The light above appears to be overcast as it drips down into your small watery prison. You inspect the base, adding in a few more smaller rocks here and there to make a stable foothold before stepping up onto the platform and wrapping your tail around your body in an attempt to heat up. Tails follows suit behind you and sits down in front of you, his eyes looking up at you in inquiry.