Chapter fourteen

Rachel spends a period of time staring at her empty bag on the bed. She should pack and go to Garth immediately, but what will she say? Why would she tell him if she might lose this baby anyway? He's a married man and her ex-husband!
With her hand touching the small little bump, she makes her way down to the kitchen. Maybe she should wait until she's a few months and that she doesn't lose the baby before she tells her daughter and Garth.

"Hey," Marisa bursts through her door. She shakes and looks at her friend. "We still have a deal."

"A deal?" Rachel asks, uncertain.

"Yes. As soon as my mother-in-law approves of me, I get to choose you a man," Marisa says to her with a giggle and walks up to her. "So, my mother-in-law has finally decided to approve of me, and I have a man for you."

"Marisa," Rachel shakes her head a little regretfully over her words. "I can't..."

"Oh, come on. He is handsome, smart, and he's home," Marisa tells her with a big smile. Rachel just stares at her. "Hey, are you good?"

"I can't see anyone now," Rachel tells her with a heavy sigh. "I uhmmm... I have to go see my daughter about something and maybe my ex-husband."

"You're not dying, are you?" Marisa asks.

"No," Rachel shakes her head.

"Good, because I know of someone who can keep you alive," Marisa says and rushes to the front door. A little upset, Rachel follows her to stop her, but to her surprise, Marisa pulls Garth through the door. Her smile runs away. Garth smiles happily at her and looks at Marisa that smiles at her friend a last time before leaving.

"Garth," she takes a step closer to him. "What are you doing here?"

"I came home," he replies. Rachel inhales deeply with tears in her eyes. "I told you to wait for me."

"Garth, you didn't call me or even text me," she says, a little upset. He closes the door behind him and burry his eyes in her. "Besides, I think you're making a big mistake to be here. You know how much I hate you and that I can't stand looking at you, right?"

"I know that, but I also know how much we need each other and that we can't live our separate lives."

"Well, I have. For all the years that we've been divorced, I manage to live my life without you," she says with tears in her eyes. Garth inhales deeply and looks down sadly. "But I can't anymore. I can't live without you."

His eyes shoot up at her. Quickly, he approaches her and touches her cheeks. She inhales deeply and close her eyes.

"Before we do anything, I have to tell you something," she says. He nods and waits patiently for her to tell him what's on her heart. "I uhmmm... I went to the doctor last week. I haven't been feeling well. She says that I'm not allowed to drink, do illegal things, or... I can't have sex for this time."

"Well, that's okay. Is it something about your kidney?" He asks and takes her hand to comfort her. She swallows the lump in her throat and shakes her head.

"I thought it was," she whispers and looks down. "I thought it was a lot of things, but it turned out to be what I least expected it to be."

"What is it?" He asks. She inhales and shakes her head with tears in her eyes. "Rach?"

"I'm pregnant," she whispers. Garth looks horrified at her. "And you're the father."

"How? I thought..."

"I know," she replies with a deep breath and looks at him. "Doctor Leigh said that this is a high-risk pregnancy. I should cut out a lot of things, including sex and that is impossible for me. You know how horny I am all the time."

Garth starts laughing and touches her hair. She giggles softly and puts her arms around his body and her head on his chest.

"I can choose to get rid of it since we might lose it anyway, or I can take the chance and keep it," she whispers against his chest. He hugs her and kisses her hair.

"I can't lose you again, Rach. Whatever you choose, I'll stand with you. If we lose this baby, we'll go through this together. We can prepare ourselves for the worse, but let's not forget to enjoy this moment together," he mutters. She looks up at him and smiles. "What do you want? Do you want to take a chance, or should we do what might be right?"

"Let's take a chance. Let's keep it," she replies. He laughs in excitement and presses his lips against hers. He hugs her and kisses her hair, forehead, and her face. "This is crazy. Rose is going to kill us. She's supposed to be the one settling down, getting pregnant, and raising kids. Now I'm pregnant and raising you again."

"I don't need you to raise me or act like a mother to me," he chuckles and touches her face to look at her. "You've been trying to do that since we got married. I need you to be my wife, Rachel. I want to take care of you, not you of me."

"Garth, I love taking care of you," she whispers and inhales deeply. "This is worth giving my social life up for."

"I love who you are now, Rach. Yes, there's a lot of responsibilities now, but don't change," he smiles at her. She nods with a little giggle and gives him a peck on the lips. "So, do I get my own room, or is your bedroom door open?"

"My whole room is open for you," she giggles. He chuckles and kisses her cheek.