6 • Backup is coming

Start from the beginning

"What?"

"Mistilteinn. What do you know?" He questioned sternly.

Isn't that what Astrid mentioned?

"I don't know anything about it. I only heard Astid mention it." I answered.

"That so...." He trailed off. "We'll be skipping school tomorrow so we can go to the orphanage." He suddenly stated.

"W-Why?" I asked, puzzled.

"I need to figure out what makes you so special; and I can't just leave you out of my sight."

"H-Huh? I'm not special at all."

"Regardless of how true that may be, there's still something attracting the supernatural to you. I want to find out what that is."

"...Did you ask Astrid and Kevin about it?"

The frown on his face grew.

"I did, but I didn't get anything about that. Though, I did find out that there's already a massive pain in the ass in town."

"What? Who?"

"A royal. The brattiest one of them too."

"A... royal?" I questioned.

"Yeah, one of first four vampires."

"That... seems like a big deal."

"It's a massive deal. That's why I called for help."

"Help?"

"Some of the hunters that are out of town. Because of the sudden surge of supernaturals coming to town almost all of the hunters are keeping watch in other areas near us."

"What about the ones here?"

"That would be me."

.....

"Only you?"

"Yeah, only me."

"...Do people like you?"

"...Doubt it."

"....Sorry for asking."

There was an awkward silence for a while after that.

"So, who was the girl in the picture?" I asked in an attempt to escape the awkwardness. That, and I was genuinely curious.

"Oh, my sister?"

"Wow, sister? Is she older or younger than you?"

"Younger by a few seconds."

Seconds? Are they twins? But they don't look identical. I guess they're fraternal twins.

"You have a very pretty sister." I said in hopes of boosting his mood up.

"....Yeah, I do." He said, sounding actually a bit happy.

That... worked?

"Oh, right. What about the guy in the picture?"

Upon hearing my question, his face immediately darkened.

"....An old friend."

Hearing his annoyed tone, I decide to change topics.

"D-Does your sister know about the supernatural?!" I asked in a panic.

"Yeah, unfortunately."

Unfortunately?

"Wait, if you're the only hunter here, then does that mean your sister and the rest of your family is out of town?"