Chapter 1

I think he's about to pop the question soon. I don't know for sure, but he's been acting differently lately. He's more attentive than usual and he spends much more time with me than before. I like it. It's been three years and he knows I want to get married someday. Now would be the time.

"Are you eating here tonight or at work?" I ask as I put on my skirt. Graham is still lying in bed, scrolling through his phone. He basically lives at my place, it's much lighter than his.

"Come here," he says and I, slightly reluctantly, make my way over to my boyfriend. I know he's only out to distract me, but I have to be in the store in about ten minutes. He kisses me softly and cups my cheek. "You look so sexy in this skirt and the blouse, whapa! I don't want you to leave yet."

"I know, baby, but I don't want to lose my home and the ability to buy food. I'm going to cook tonight, are you eating with me?"

Graham holds onto my hand and I know it's going to be difficult to get away from him. He's very clingy. It's a trait I both like and detest.

"I'm only telling if you're going to stay here."

"Graham, you're making this unnecessarily hard."

"That's what she said."

"Graham!" It is an old joke and he knows it never makes me laugh.

"Regina!" He mocks my voice, but I don't care. I smile, kiss his lips and leave the bedroom. I'm not going to make dinner for him if he acts so juvenile. "I love you!"

He yells it once I'm halfway down the stairs and it makes me feel somewhat better. He better love me, because I intend to spend the rest of my life with him.

~~~~

The store is a bit slow today. It's Wednesday and not a lot of people shop for underwear and lingerie on a Wednesday. It gives me some time to go through the administration. I'm not expecting customers anytime soon.

But right when I'm about to open a new file, the little bell jingles. A blonde woman enters my store and much to my surprise, I've never seen her before. Most of my customers are regulars, especially when they're about my age.

I try to continue working behind my computer, but my gaze constantly drifts off to her. She looks very much out of place and when she grabs an item and puts it back for the fourth time, I clear my throat.

"Can I help you with anything?" I get off my chair and approach her. She looks a bit flushed. That's nothing I haven't seen before, many of my customers feel somewhat embarrassed when they're shopping for lingerie for the first time.

"I suppose you can," she says, softly. She reads my name tag and it makes me curious to know her name. I've never seen her around before. "I've never bought anything other than a three dollar bra before, but I want to try something new for my boyfriend. He claims he hates lingerie. Every time we walk past this store, he says he detests women dressing themselves as objects and being slutty and whatnot."

She pauses for a moment and I take in her words. This is a first. I've never heard a man say he didn't like lingerie, not even the feminists.

"I bet when he sees you wearing something, he will change his mind immediately."

The woman nods and bites her lower lip. "Yes, that's what I thought too. He isn't a prude, that's what makes it odd. When I'm wearing anything else that's revealing, he doesn't mind one bit." She bites her lower lip. "I shouldn't be dumping all my confusions about my relationship on you. I'm here because I feel like lately the fire is fading between my boyfriend and I. He's less attentive and has to work more, so I want to do something to.. give it some spice. I figured dressing up like this would make him feel better. If he knows I wanted it, it can't be that bad, right? Does that make sense?"