TEN

It took three hours to make Winona, in Pocan's words, pretty enough to eat. Her makeup and nail polish were the same as they had been during the chariot rides, except for the dark shadow Vel had snuck in last minute. This time, instead of a smokey black around the corners of her eyes, it was a blinding white. She wondered if it was because of her score. Now that everyone assumed she was weak, they didn't want her to look dangerous anymore. Winona kinda liked that. She didn't want to be dangerous, she just wanted to protect her brother.

Another difference was how much of that holographic shimmer they had put on her. This time, she was pretty much covered in it. It was painted along the curves and lines of her face, dusted over her breasts and inner thighs. Cassius was right, the dress Osa had designed was going to show off her legs. She could only hope that the heels she put her in weren't nearly as tall as the ones she had practiced in.

Vel held out a small pair of flesh-colored underwear for her to step into and she quickly slid them over her legs. Her hair was in two thick braids that fell down her back, different silver rings and gems pulling at her hair, a tension headache forming. The dress was the next thing they put on her, the sheer fabric cooling her body. It was almost entirely see-through, the only thing making it sheer was the thousands of microscopic crystals looped through it. If it was on anyone else, Winona would think it was beautiful. But, when she looked in the mirror, all she could see was how exposed she was.

This would be one of the last times her parents would see her- District Twelve would see her, and she was almost naked. She was glad for the underwear, at least. She turned and caught Vel's eye. He gave her a sad smile and she knew he felt the same way she did. She didn't look- or feel like herself.

Vel reached forward and rubbed a cloth against her chin, wiping away the heavy foundation and revealing her Yidilltoo. One more quick brush of the holographic shimmer, and he was done. Yet again, breaking the rules Osa had made. She wondered if it would get him in trouble, but she quickly threw that thought away. If it bothered Osa, he would've been replaced already, she was sure. Besides, it was too late to undo his changes

"Are you ready for your interview?" Vel asked and Winona let out a long sigh.

"I don't know how to make people like me," She said and Vel smiled at her.

"Well, I like you."

Winona furrowed her brows.

"Why?" She asked. "I've barely spoken to you."

"You're kind," He says. "In a way that you don't see very often in the Capital."

Winona blinked, shocked at the genuine answer.

"And you're sure of everything else but yourself," He added. "It's charming."

"What do you mean?"

He opened his mouth, then closed it.

"I can't explain it exactly," He said before catching Osa skipping toward him. "And it seems I don't have the time to. Quickly now, let's get your shoes on."

He led her over to a pair of white shoes with long heels and ribbon that wrapped around her ankles for extra support and she quickly stepped in, allowing Vel to tie them tightly around her calves.

"My goodness!" Osa exclaimed, reaching out a hand and twirling the girl. "Look at you! Didn't I do such a brilliant job?"

Vel smiled tightly.

"Absolutely. She looks incredible."

Osa looked her up and down again, smile faltering slightly when she noted the tattoo on her chin.