Chapter 10

Recap:

His answer gave me the guts to insert a follow-up. "No! Tonight. I want to know everything tonight," I said. When I looked up, the sky was starting to turn into a very deep shade of blue. It was almost dawn. "Erm - today, I mean."

He shook his head in amusement. "Agreed," he said. He mounted his horse and held out his hand to me. "Shall we?"

I rolled my eyes but took his hand anyway.

===============  

CHAPTER 10  

"You do realize what you're doing, right?" Alric asked me. His hand was ready to turn the knob of the door to his chambers.  

"Who cares if people think I'm going to your room to get some? We both know that's not true. Besides, there's no one to see us at this time of the morning," I snapped.  

When we reached the palace, I had follwed Alric to his room like some wounded animal, afraid that he might run away from our deal or something. I really wanted to understand what was going on and I had no intention of letting him off the hook.  

Alric sighed and twisted the knob. He held the door open for me and directed me to the couch in the middle of the enourmous room. I was about to sit down when I spotted the king-sized bed in all its glorious fluffiness. I jumped on board. "Okay. Now, spill," I called out to Alric cheerfully. I patted the spot beside me.  

He sighed and sat at the edge of the bed. "What do you want to know?"  

"Everything."  

Much to my annoyance, his bronze laugh made my stomach flip. "That's a bit wide, don't you think?" He ran his fingers through is smooth black hair. "Why don't you tell me what  -- that guy told you."  

So I did. By the time I finished, Alric's face was rigid and his fists were clenched.   "Well, he didn't leave much for me to tell, did he?" he said humourlessly. He ran his fingers though his hair again and stood up to reach for the nearest wine bottle. He poured its contents into a crystal glass while I tried to wait for him patiently.

"Uh, so is it true that I'm here because Victoria's soul is in me...?"

The glass's loud contact with the table made me jump.  "Yes, a piece of her soul resides within you but that is not why I brought you here. You are here to end this war."

"Eh?" I sat up straight. "Oh, you mean because I'm the 'messiah' and all that?"

"Precisely." He turned around with his usual gentle smile on his face. "So you need to promise me to be careful. Boris's kind will stop at nothing to get rid of you."

"They hate humans that much, huh?"

"Yes."

"So why don't you?"

Alric snapped his head to the side to look at me. He seemed very surprised about my question.

"You're a vampire, too, aren't you? Why aren't you on their side?"

He sucked in a sharp breath. "I wasn't always one," he murmured after a long pause.

"Oh? Well, that makes a lot of sense. I was kind of wondering if -- " I yawned before I manage to control it. As expected, Alric used it to his advantage.

"You're tired," he said too eagerly. "I'll take you to your room."

 "You are not excusing your way out of this conversation, buddy," I said stubbornly. "As I was saying, I was wondering how you turned into a vampire. Were you bitten? Or cursed? Or --"

"I drank one of their leaders' blood."

His answer made me pause. "Wait. You drank their blood? Does it really work that way? And you were..." I swallowed a lump in my throat. "Willing?"

"In a way, yes."

I didn't really know which question he answered but the dark pool of anger and frustration in his eyes clamped my mouth shut. Suddenly, I remembered something. "Hey, Alric. You said that you brought me here because you want me to end this war, right?"

He picked up the glass again and shook it slightly to rotate its contents. "Yes."

"Then why do I recal you telling me that you brought me here because you loved me?"

Alric stopped mixing his drink. "Did I say that?" an innocent smile crept up his lips.

"Yep. In fact, you said those words when you stopped me the first time I tried to escape. Remember? Then you offered me the '7 months' deal."

"Must've been your imagination, Leah," he said smugly before downing the liquid with a single gulp.

"Why are you hiding it?"

"Hiding what?" he said.

I groaned in frustration. "Fine," I growled. "I'll buy that crap you're throwing at me for the time being but only because you're the only one who can take me back. And for you to take me back, I'm assuming, means that I'll have to play my role as 'messiah'. Have I got everything right, so far?"

He nodded in amusement and picked up the flask for another round of drinks.

"But since I have absolutely no idea what to do, you or someone you'll appoint will be helping me learn the ropes, yeah? Then I'll do whatever I'm supposed to accomplish and you'll take me home. All that within the 7 month time frame, right?"

Again, he nodded. "That's all there is to it."

"Sounds simple enough," I huffed. "When do we start?"

"Right after you get some rest." Before I knew it, he had me slung over his shoulder and walking towards the door. He even tried to stiffle a chuckle when he heard me let out a surprised squawk.

"I DON'T LIKE BEING CARRIED!" I yelled for the nth time. Why? Why does he persist on doing that?

 "I know. But if I don't do this, God knows when you'll have the heart to let me rest from your questions," he chuckled.

"Oh, right. Sorry," I mumbled. I felt a little ashamed for being inconsiderate. "But can you at least put me down?"

"I really don't see why you don't like it," he said as he placed me down gently. "Most women would kill to be wrapped around in my arms like that."

"Lack of sleep has obviously made you forget the concept of humility, dear princey. Go back to your room before your head gets any bigger. I can spot my room from here anyway."

"Let me see you to your door."

I groaned audibly. "Fine, whatever."

"7 months, eh?" I muttered absently as I felt the cool chain of my necklace. I guess I can live with it for a while...

===============

Imma go try writing this thing while remaining faithful to Leah's POV. Challenge accepted! XD

For my upcoming story, though, I'll most probably apply the multiple POVs. Just don't know whether to make it first or third person. OwO

Hope you guys enjoyed this one.

Bloop~