Chapter 9

Recap:

When he finally stood right in front of me, the wolves beside me whimpered a bit. Some even inched away from us. "Tell me, my dear," he said as he knelt down to be in level with my face. With the crook of his finger, he lifted my chin up and smiled. But instead of being greeted with a normal smile, I found myself staring at his perfectly flawless set of white teeth - except this time, a pair of fangs was added to the equation.

 "Do you believe in vampires?"

===============

CHAPTER 9

My mouth dropped on its own and my voice completely abandoned me. This was a joke, right?

"On account of it being a rhetorical question at this point, I'd still like to hear a clear answer," he said calmly.

"You've got to be kidding me," I breathed. Unconciously, I reached out to touch one of his fangs. He nipped my finger playfully but it made me recoil in a second of panic. I saw a small dot of blood coming from it.

"You really bit me!" I cried, horrified.

"Calm yourself," he laughed. "You needed the wake up call."

I held my hand to my chest. "So you're really a vampire?" At this point, anything was possible. I didn't even have enough logic in me to reason myself out of this.

He made an amused nod.

I adjusted myself in a comfortable sitting position. "And you have no intentions of sucking me dry?"

"We'll see," he grinned mischievously.

I gulped. That'll have to do for now. Suddenly, a question popped inside my head. "H-How old are you, exactly?" I found myself asking him.

This time, he let out a loud outburst of laughter. "You really do amuse me," he said. "In your terms, I am about 26 years old but I've walked this earth for nearly 2 centuries now."

"You guys really are immortal, huh?" I blurted out.

He waved his hand in the air in dismissal. "Nonsense. We live longer, that's all. We age but only the royals maintain their physical youth."

I nodded my head absently trying to digest everything.

"Wait wait wait. Why are you telling me all this again? You know, with you being..." I paused for a moment and tried to make a gesture with my hands. "A vampire and all? I mean, even if this is not my world, your special diet isn't exaclty accepted here either, right?"

"You're right in a way. Our kind isn't accepted here though that doesn't mean the humans are oblivious to our existance. However, their resentment of our race is still overcome by their fear. We can, after all, wipe them out if we want to."

"So why don't you?"

He smiled. "Back to your previous question. I'm telling you all this because I need you to understand at least a few things about our kind, considering you are under the care of one."

"Say what?"

His violet eyes widened in realization. "Oh I see. He hasn't told you that either, has he? Looks like our little princey didn't have the slightest regard for you. Allow me to start from the beginning then," he said smoothly. "Prince Alric is a vampire."

"What the hell do you mean he's a -- ?!"

"Let me finish. Vampires have always looked down upon humans. Your kind is weak and always manages to create havoc wherever you go. My kind is simply disgusted with the idea of sharing anything with such lowlives.