The Birth Of Zeke Russo

Start from the beginning

"Talk, Jonathan," Clary ordered, trying to bring them back on topic and the eldest Morgenstern lifted his gaze to Clary.

"I didn't even know you existed until not so long ago. I'd been in Edom for what felt like an eternity, when the Manibus demon who you first banished with your sunlight rune appeared in Lilith's throne room. And she finally told me about you, but only so I could protect myself against you, but I knew you were different. That was the first time I ever heard your name. Clarissa Morgenstern. It was like music to my ears. I felt something I had never felt before. Hope."

"This has nothing to do with the sword," Serena interrupted seeing Clary's discomfort at her brother's story.

"Of course, it does," Jonathan breathed. "That moment changed everything for me. I realized that you were the only person that I needed. I felt it. Finally, I had someone to fight by my side. Not against me, not in spite of me, but with me. Everything I do, I do for you. I want the Morning Star sword for you. For us."

Serena's grip tightened on Clary and the girl loosed a breath but Jonathan turned to her.

"Serena, as much as I enjoy your presence, might I have a moment alone with my sister?"

"Not happening."

"Then I'm not talking."

Serena turned to Clary, checking to see what she wanted to do.

"I'll be ok. He's right outside," Clary promised, pointing at Jace.

Serena gave her a hug before pressing a kiss to her hair. Then she turned on Jonathan. "Touch my sister, and I'll do much more than sing you a song. I'll rip your head from your shoulders," she threatened before begrudgingly leaving Clary and Jonathan alone.

She could feel Jonathan's eyes trailing her as she walked outside to Alec, instantly wrapping her arms around him before she tilted her head back and gave him a nice long kiss. Serena spared Jonathan a glare before she turned to her twin.

"I want constant updates. I'll be in the armoury with Izzy if you need anything."

"You got it," Jace said as he kissed her cheek and she headed for the elevators with her hand in Alec's.

********************************

"What's going on? What are we - Why is he here?" Alec asked as his wife tugged him into the armoury to see Simon sitting there with Izzy.

"We'll get to that in a second," Serena said.

"S, managed to crack the last firewall on the data chip from Sentry Greenlaw," Izzy revealed and Serena let out a squeal as Alec picked her up and spun her around.

"I knew you could do it! I told you," he boasted proudly before he kissed her and she smiled against his lips.

"I never could've done it if you hadn't taken such good care of me. All of you," Serena said appreciatively to Alec and Izzy. "Anyway, the reason Simon is here is because we believe that the chip holds the key to breaking Clary's bond with Jonathan. Look."

Serena directed their attention to the monitor as Izzy tapped her keyboard and brought up some of the prisoner profiles that were on the chip.

"Greenlaw smuggled out prisoner profiles?" Alec questioned uncertainly.

"And they're all Downworlders," Simon added.

"They've been redirected from the Gard to project Heavenly Fire," Izzy continued.

"Heavenly fire, as in Glorious?" Alec put together.

"Exactly. If the sword still exists, there's a good chance it's being kept in the same facility where these prisoners are being sent," Serena explained.

"The only problem is that this place is totally off the grid. The only way to find it is to get someone on the inside," Izzy said.

"And not just anyone. A vampire named Zeke Russo," said Simon.

"Who's that?" Alec wondered and Izzy tapped her keyboard again as another profile appeared with Simon's face on it, except his jacket read Zeke Russo. "You're kidding me?!" Alec exclaimed.

"This file has all the specifications needed to guarantee a transfer to the facility," Izzy explained.

"No, it's too dangerous, especially with the Clave involved - "

"I know the risks," Simon interrupted.

"Don't worry. I'll be following him with a tracking rune," Izzy said but Serena bit her lip.

"And we'll have these to communicate telepathically," Serena explained as she retrieved the Seelie rings. "Officially, they were returned to the Seelie Realm. Unofficially, I called in one of the many debts Meliorn owes me."

"Seelie Rings?" Simon questioned.

"These rings were used by Valentine and Hodge to communicate right under our noses," Alec explained as Izzy slipped on a ring and Serena placed the other one on Simon's hand only for it to disappear with a glamour. "So, once Zeke's inside, all he has to do is get the sword?" Alec asked after Izzy explained how it worked telepathically to Simon.

"The second he does Serena, and I will be standing by with an extraction team," Izzy confirmed.

"But remember Simon, this isn't just about getting Glorious, it's also about finding out about what the hell they're doing with those Downworlders in there. Ok?" Serena reminded him.

"Yeah, yeah. I got it," Simon said softly as he nodded his head, but Alec still appeared hesitant.

"Baby, trust us, we can do this," Serena persuaded as she hugged herself to his sighed and Alec relented.

"Alright. Good luck, I have a feeling you'll need it."

********************************

"IZZY! Izzy! Iz, where are you?!" Serena called as she ran into the weapons room, her parabatai moving from one of the weapons racks towards her sister.

"S, what is it?" Izzy asked when she saw the worried look on Serena's face, a burned piece of paper in her hands. It was the results of an inquiry Serena had commissioned after Simon had told Izzy about the interesting someone he'd met at the facility, someone who definitely wasn't supposed to be there.

"I just got a fire message from my grandma. I asked her if she could find out who ordered Raphael's transfer. Get this, Raphael's transfer was ordered after he was already at the Gard, and not only that, but, the person that ordered it, their name came up on more than just Raphael's transfer."

"Like what?"

"Literally everything related to Heavenly Fire that my grandmother was able to dig up. All the transfer orders, blood and food reassignments, specialty equipment. It's the same name that keeps coming up, too often for it to be a coincidence."

"So, who is it?" Izzy asked.

Serena's face was grim as she handed over the fire message. "Victor Aldertree."