Fireflies In The Dark

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, my little Jendeukie. I love you too."

After some more making out between the lovers, Jisoo zipped down her coat before peeling off her boots at the door. She walked to her room to change into a comfortable pair of pyjamas. Honestly, it should be called 'their' room since Jennie got into the habit of sleeping with Jisoo long before they were officially dating. They've been best friends for a few years now. In fact, only three days after meeting each other for the first time did the two trainees spend a day together at the public bathhouse. Jisoo and Jennie saw each other naked and talked about their dreams as well as life in general... only a few people are ever so lucky to click with another soul like that. Jisoo thanks the heavens every day for meeting a girl like Jennie, and it didn't take long before she fell in love either. It was terrifying for Jisoo to confess her feelings to her new best friend, she feared ruining their relationship, but Jennie surprised her back by confessing she felt the same. Years have passed now, yet Jisoo still finds those same butterflies in her stomach every once in a while when Jennie walks in the room.

As Jisoo finished changing and removing her makeup, Jennie found a comfortable position on the couch in an attempt to be as natural as possible. She turned on their small T.V and flipped through the channels until finding one showing a favourite drama of hers. Out of the corner of Jennie's eye, she saw that Jisoo had come back wearing an outfit similar to hers. Jisoo grinned when their eyes met and sat down beside Jennie. She rested her head on the younger girl's shoulder and curled her legs to her chest while relaxing on the couch. "Oh, I don't think I've seen this episode yet..." Jisoo remarked. Jennie furrowed her eyebrows.

"Yes you have. We watched it together, remember? It's the one where he carries the girl out of an angry mob before taking care of her at his house."

"Oh right...' Jisoo exclaimed. 'That's romantic." A smirk settled on Jennie's lips.

"Speaking of romantic things...' she reached into her pocket faced opposite side of Jisoo and pulled out a small box adorned with white ribbon wrapped in a bow. 'This is for you, my love. Happy birthday." Jisoo's eyes widened at the gift in Jennie's hands.

"Oh! I... you didn't have to get me anything."

"But I did.' Jennie replied. 'I know you don't care much for your birthday but I do. I care about it a lot. If it weren't for this special day, how else would I have met the love of my life?" Jisoo couldn't help but blush furiously from Jennie's heartfelt words. That warm fuzzy feeling in her chest swelled up like a balloon.

"Thank you." She said, but Jennie pushed the gift into the latter's hands.

"Don't thank me already, you haven't even opened it yet!"

Jisoo's smile reached her eyes as she focused on unwrapping the small ribbon. She pulled it like a string and the bow came undone before opening the lid. "Oh...' she quietly said as she scanned the object inside; it was a ring. Suddenly an alerting thought came to Jisoo's mind. 'Is this... are you asking me to—"

"Hm? Oh! No, it's not a marriage proposal Chu. Don't pass out on me now.' Jennie laughed at Jisoo's widened eyes, then she picked up the ring and held it close for inspection. 'Here, you see what these letters say?"

"Yeah, JJ and J." Jisoo read.

"Exactly, Jennie Ruby-Jane and Jisoo. These are our initials with a heart on the side. And if you look over here, this is an infinity sign. It symbolizes our everlasting love." Jennie reached into the small box again and pulled out a silver chain, something Jisoo didn't notice was there before. The younger girl put one end of the chain through the ring so it could hang before she wrapped the newfound necklace at Jisoo's neck. "And as long as you have this on... you'll be reminded of my promise to always love and be with you." Jennie attached the ends of the necklace before she moved back. Jisoo looked down and held the ring with delicate hands, almost scared as if it would disintegrate from her touch. The tip of her thumb grazed the ring's indents.