She was acting like it was a break up, staring angrily as you fiddled with the strap of your bag. "I'm sorry," you said. "It was an emergency."

"And what kind of emergency warrants radio silence?" 

"It was Steven Grant, and --" 

"--Oh y/n." Her attitude changed immediately. She changed from a confrontational ass to a worried, supportive boss. "I'm so sorry. That man..." she trailed off with a revolted spit. "Did he hurt you?"

"What, no, he--" 

"--I don't know why he was allowed to work here for as long as he did. He belongs in an asylum," she said, patting your shoulder supportively. "Now, don't worry, we can sort out this little blip. If you take the last week as holiday, you can keep working from tomorrow." 

Rage was boiling up within you. "So, I'm not fired?" 

"No, of course not."

"Good. Because I quit."

"I beg your pardon?" 

"I quit. Fuck you Donna Kraft." 

And with that, you walked out, feeling absolutely free. You marched past J.B, giving him the middle finger as you went, and then you skipped out of the door and down the steps with a wide grin. Freedom. You headed towards Steven's flat, and then decided to make a stop along the way. 

Then another. 

By the time you were back, a couple of hours had passed.

"I'm back," you called, kicking the door closed with your foot. 

"Alright love, are you fired?" Steven asked. He was fronting, and busy sweeping up all the sand around his bed. There was no use for it.

"I told Donna I was with you and she assumed it was your fault I missed work, said I could start again tomorrow."

Steven hid a hurt sigh. "That's good then innit. And what did you say?" 

"I told her to fuck off," you said and Steven let out a cry, halfway between a laugh and a gasp.

"You what?" 

"She treated you like shit, and I'm not about to work for a woman who does that. I'll find another job. Natural History Museum's hiring, I got you an application too. Part time, so Marc can find something he wants to do." 

"You really are the greatest person in the world y/n," Steven said, and you winked.

"About to be even better. I've got a surprise for you both," you said, holding a gift behind your back. 

"A surprise love?" he repeated, setting down the broom, and you nodded. From behind your back you pulled a small plastic container. Filled with water, there was a small goldfish swimming in circles.

"Marc may have come first, but you're here now too. And both of you are your own person. So, I think it's only fair you have your own fish," you said. Steven stared at you, and you saw a tear in his eye. "The shop didn't have any 'one finned wonders', but now at least Gus the 2nd has a friend."

"Oh y/n," Steven breathed. "He's perfect." He walked over and took the container gently from your hands, holding it up to the light and grinning. "Thank you so much love," he said, drawing you in for a hug.

"You're more than welcome," you replied, glancing into the reflection. Marc mouthed a thank you and you nodded. "Got a name?"

"I like Gus," Marc joked, but Steven nodded enthusiastically. 

"Gus the 3rd," Steven decided, opening the top of the fish tank. "In honour of the original Gus." He poured the new fish inside, and the three of you watched as it swam about in glee. "That's one of the great pyramids, innit. You can get inside, make a little home." 

"Speaking of home," you said. "I've gotta rush back and grab a change of clothes. I can get takeout on the way back. What d'you fancy?" 

"Um...." Steven trailed off anxiously, and you squeezed his arm.

"It's ok. We don't have to get takeout." 

"No, it's not that," Steven said. "...What if you didn't have to go?" As you turned to him, he went a deep shade of red and stuttered sheepishly. "What if you stuff was here already. I mean, love... I just..." he picked at his nails nervously.

"What he's trying to say," Marc said, swooping in, "is that, what if you lived here. With us?" 

You'd never smiled brighter. "You mean, you want me to move in?" 

Marc nodded. "I don't know which of us had the thought first, but one thing's for sure - we're both thinking it now."