Cindered Shadows: Betrayal

3rd Person POV

After learning of Aelfric's kidnapping, Byleth, Cloud, and the Ashen Wolves all went back up to the surface to inform Rhea of the situation that was unfolding. With this, they had hoped to get her support and have the Knights of Seiros mobilize to help search for Aelfric, though that seemed to be a bit tougher than they all had expected it to be.

Rhea: So that is what transpired... This is, indeed, the Chalice of Beginnings. It matches the descriptions in the few records of it that remain.

Yuri: Don't beat around the bush. What's our punishment?

Rhea: You removed a most sacred treasure. Truly it is my obligation to mete out punishment for that transgression. However... You also helped the church locate a valuable artifact. In light of this good deed, I shall forgive the bad one. I do wonder...

Byleth: What's on your mind?

Rhea: I am wondering whether your presence had anything to do with the artifact's unbinding, Professor. As per the church chronicles, the Four Apostles secured the chalice with powerful magic. The only way to release the chalice is by using the four Crests passed down through their bloodlines. However, given the special power you possess, perhaps you were able to unlock it yourself.

Cloud: That almost sounds absurd. Just how powerful is her Crest?

Rhea: There is no knowing at present. For the time being, I will keep the chalice somewhere safe. As for Aelfric, I assure you that the knights will find and return him in due time. I consider him to be one of my many children, after all. I will not allow harm to befall him.

Constance: Lady Rhea, might I ask a moment of your time? We cannot be expected to give up our endeavor! The enemy stated most clearly that if the knights are involved, our dear Aelfric is finished! We owe him so much. If there is any possibility that his life is in danger, the risk is too great to chance!

Hapi: True. The knights are strong and all, but they're liable to get him killed. We can take care of it. With Chatterbox and Moody's help.

Balthus: Our professors have the strength of a hundred knights, or about one and a half of me. We've got this. How about it, Rhea? We've been through too damned much to get here. Leave the chalice and Aelfric to us. You won't regret it.

Yuri: Lady Rhea... Please.

Rhea: Hmm...

Byleth: We'll take full responsibility.

Rhea: If you consent to join your power with theirs... Yes, perhaps there is hope. As you wish. I shall entrust you with the chalice.

Knight of Seiros: Your Grace, the chalice is a legendary treasure! You can't just hand it over to those underground-

Rhea: That is quite enough. There is no cause to worry, I assure you. There will be no further discussion on the matter. Even if we lost hold of the chalice, it would be impossible for the thieves to make use of it. Though it was created to return a life that was lost, I doubt that anyone alive knows how to accomplish that feat. If someone were to successfully replicate the ritual... It would perhaps be the work of fate.

Scene Transition

Later on, everyone all went back down into Abyss to prepare for their plan to rescue Aelfric. And they needed a plan fast, not knowing how long they'll have before the bandits decided it was time to get rid of him for good. However, without the help of the Knights of Seiros, it was likely that this was going to be much harder than they had initially hoped.