𝘼 𝙎𝙒𝘼𝙉 𝙄𝙉 𝘼 𝘾𝘼𝙂𝙀

Začať od začiatku

"Thank you." I acknowledged his action with gratitude, and him reciprocating with a nod. At that moment, a journalist began to interview some of the interested tributes, moving from the first to the last. The journalist's figure drew closer to mine, though Coriolanus seemed to convey a reluctance to have his tribute subjected to an interview, or to put in a better terms–treated like an animal in a cage. Despite this, I gave the journalist my full attention, well aware of the Capitol's simple yet insatiable adoration for the Games. If providing them with a bit of entertainment was what it took, I was more than willing to do so. As the journalist posed his question, about how we've been treated, thus far. I didn't hesitate to respond. "The first few weeks have been good. It's been a delight since we arrived from home. Our mentors have been taking care of us, providing food and treats just enough to keep us occupied. Most importantly, we've been well-prepared for the Games."

A faint smile graced the features of the journalist, barely leaving the edges of his lips as he seemed pleased with my response. Initially, he might have thought the other tributes were merely jesting, given the prevalent sentiment that the Capitol was nothing more than an amusement park for the affluent. Unafraid to express my compassion, I faced the cameras alongside Jacob. Despite his attempts to return the smile, his demeanor hinted at a less aligned acceptance of how the Capitol treated him and myself. "That's all for now, reporting from the Capitol's Zoo, and Miss?" To my surprise, even though the journalist was well aware of my identity, he persisted, subtly gesturing for me to state my name. "It's Y/N Swan." I was confident enough to present myself gracefully, but this time, it wasn't my voice that corrected him. It was Coriolanus who spoke up.

x

"It's Y/N Swan."

Whether it was a mistake or not, Snow had grown weary of the journalist's lackluster approach to his job. One might assume that with a false identity and a relentless pursuit of power and wealth, one would take their responsibilities seriously. However, as he tasted the bitterness of disappointment while observing his own tribute being discussed, Snow decided it was best for the journalists and reporter crew to depart, ensuring such an approach wouldn't be repeated.

Despite this, a sense of pride tinged with dignity lingered as Snow observed every second and every word coming from his tribute. His eyes softened at the delicate presentation of the Capitol of Panem, showcasing a profound admiration for the Games—a sentiment he hadn't anticipated. In response, he found himself unable to suppress a smile, which gradually transformed into a soft, pleasant smirk as he became utterly captivated. Unbeknownst to Snow, Jacob's quick reaction reflected the annoyance of the journalists, indicating that Coriolanus had entirely lost himself in the gaze of a Swan—a creature deemed delicate yet so dangerous, as his mother would often say.

Yet, unlike his attitude toward a previous tribute, he did not waver in his sentiments toward the current one. The past had seen him desperately trying to bring an end to a love he once trusted, nurtured, only to find it looping back to the beginning. A cycle of repetition he had grown tired of. This time, however, he was relentless in his hope that the new tribute wouldn't merely be a shameful pawn for amusement but someone reliable, someone he could depend on until his very last breath. It wasn't just about choosing them for personal pleasure; it was about securing success and maintaining his position at the pinnacle. He had no qualms about making his intentions known, but he understood that such things required time, including the gradual process of making the tribute solely his and his alone.

"That concludes our visit for today." He announced, well aware that the citizens and younger students from the Academy were somewhat disheartened by the news. However, Coriolanus hadn't made his own exit yet, especially when his gaze locked with hers. In that gaze, a mixture of reassurance and a smile conveyed the promise that he wouldn't leave without exchanging a few words. Perhaps he would reveal his plan to ensure her victory in the Games, securing his path to being elected as a pivotal figure in Panem's history. This time, he wasn't embarking on the journey alone.

A pang of regret washed over him as he observed how many mentors treated their tributes differently than he did. Despite being aware of his own distinctiveness from the beginning, especially in manipulating people to kill for his own good, he now realized he wasn't ready to let go of the one he cared due to a simple mistake. And as everyone else departed, the other tributes acknowledged Coriolanus's presence. However, upon meeting his gaze, they quickly redirected their attention to their tasks. It seemed as though they genuinely didn't care if a vulnerable yet delicate Swan posed any trouble. Many among the tributes believed in their own strength, having been indoctrinated since birth.

Approaching her, Coriolanus noticed she was munching on the sandwich she had forgotten a few hours ago, the journalist's attention proving more valuable than a proper meal. He spoke with a firm yet soft tone, one of the aspects she appreciated about him. "Training is tomorrow. I'll ensure our head Gamemaker secures the best ax for you. And if anyone thinks they can steal your archery." He pauses briefly before realizing he was speaking to himself at this point, murmuring as his eyes watched her every moves, while gazing upon the other tributes who did the same in return. "I'll make them pay..." Although she didn't catch the last words, she relied on him completely with a nod of satisfaction from the delicacy of Capitol's finest foods. With the ax as her primary weapon, Coriolanus Snow ensured that, regardless of the time in the Games and the ease of acquiring everyone's preferred weapons, he would provide enough. Enough to have her all to himself.

"See you tomorrow then?" Her voice carried the same innocence as she spoke to him, the remnants of food still in her mouth as she attempted to wipe mayonnaise from the corner of her lip. A chuckle escaped her, one he wouldn't mind hearing every day. However, as the seconds ticked by and the day drew to a close, he noticed the Peacekeeper's growing impatience, signaling that curfew was approaching. Before he could convey his intention to return to the Academy soon, Coriolanus's gaze met hers for the last time before seeing her again the next day.

"See you tomorrow." He maintained the same tone, accompanied by a soft smile, and subtly bowed his head. It was a gesture carefully chosen to convey his gratitude and appreciation for the luck he felt in having her as his own.