Chapter Five ☆

"Never get so comfortable in pain that you forget happiness is an option."

"I'm gonna need you to repeat that, Ms Nova," Nick Fury started, eye wide. "Because from where I'm standing, it sounded a lot like you just said you're from another universe."

"That's because I did... Sir."
This was all wrong. So wrong.
Nyxa could feel it now- the difference.
The shadows across this city, this world, they were different to the ones she was used to. Darker, more violent. They had a chaos to them driven by a thirst for power, a desire to consume.

"So you're telling me that you come from a different, what? A different universe?"

She looked up now, feeling her hold on her emotions waver. She was scared and lost, more disoriented than she'd ever been before. But she couldn't show this man that.

"Yes." Nyxa swallowed.

"Is there a way to get back?" He asked. This time his voice seemed softer, more gentle. It was like he could sense her emotions bubbling to the surface.

"I don't know. There has to be... I'm just not sure how to find it."

Director Nicholas looked at the sky and let out a heavy sigh. He was taking all of this surprisingly well for someone from a world where they apparently weren't used to this kind of stuff.

"Why don't you tell me the whole story? Who knows, maybe we can compare notes and find something." He gave her a look. "They drink coffee where you're from?"

Though a part of Nyxa lightened at the attempt at casualness, she was starting to feel a hopeless weight bear down on her. All she wanted was to sink to her knees and sleep, waking up to find that all of this had been a bad dream.
But she didn't. She couldn't. Not here, not in front of everyone.

Straightening her spine and shoulders, Nyxa took a deep and steady breath. "We do."

____

Four Months later

Nick Fury

The smell hit him tenfold and he swore. Trust her not to make it easy.
Nyxa Nova was a hard woman to find. He should know... he'd been looking for awhile now.

He thought back to their last conversation. They'd spent ages trying to find any possible way to send her back home. They'd come up empty each time.

Each failed attempt pushed Nyxa further and further into a hopeless despair.
He'd noted the shadows deepening each time they failed, and her anger and sadness growing.
That's why he eventually suggested that they stopped, or gave it a break. Get her settled in here in this world for a little while. He'd hoped to ease her pain a bit, make all of this easier. A part of him had also worried about how dangerous she'd be if she snapped. A large part of him.

Fury stepped over littered boxes, dirt, and stones. S.H.I.E.L.D had managed to pin a location on her but he'd wanted to come alone. No one else truly knew her or what she was like. Hell, even he didn't. But right now, in this universe, he was the closest thing Nyxa had to a friend.

Following the faint light up ahead, he allowed his mind to go back.

☆☆☆