Chapter 1

"So love is not important for you?", Nira asked, holding her cup of hot chocolate.

"I didn't say that.. I just feel that romance is better in fiction. You gotta be practical in all aspects of your life. I see random 18 year olds running away from home for their love.. do you think they are making the right choice? I think its stupid..", She huffed.

"And why is this too hot??"

"Because it is a Hot Chocolate..", Nira smiled gently, because she knew her friend really well.
"Also you are not 18... You are 25 and intelligent. Why are you cynical about love?"

"I just don't it matters... I am very passive and unromantic, and guys hate that...", She rolls her eyes, before lodging the spoon into the snowflake latte art on the hot chocolate.

Nira glared at her for doing that. "Stirring makes it taste better..", she says, shrugging.

"Have you even talked to any guy long enough to understand that? And also I think any guy would be lucky to have you. You are a gem of a person."

"Aww.. thanks. But No.. I don't wanna date anyone..", She smiles sarcastically.

"So my plans of dancing at your wedding are doomed??", Nira sighs.

"Nah.. I will get married someday.. I have to finish off my 'before 30' list."

"Ofcourse.. Marriage is something you do just for the sake of striking it off your list.
What happened to charming princes and their horses and the happily ever after? This is Sad..", Nira wiped off her imaginary tear from her eyes.

"Disney and fairytales have spoiled us way too much with these ideas. And there aren't even princes anymore.. And neither do I have a glass slipper. Happily ever after is out of question..", She laughed as she said that. Her laugh was infectious and pleasant.

The door to the cafe opened. A man wearing a navy blue hoodie walked in hastily. He had a red cap, sunglasses and a N95 mask to top it off.
"Can I get some water, please???", He speaks, gasping for breath.

"Sure, sir. Why don't you take a seat first??", the cafe owner, Rohit says.

He moves past the table where the ladies where seated in, with much urgency.
He sat down at the single table in the corner and let out a sigh. He looked around the place to ensure that it is safe and sound.
All the other seats were occupied and the christmas decorations were indeed pretty. The place had a nice festive mood. It was Christmas eve.

Rohit comes by with a glass of water and he takes the cup from his hand to pour the contents down his throat swiftly. He finally felt a little better. He has been running around for the past 3 hours.
"What else can I get you? Also please write down your name on this chit. We will be having the lucky draw soon",Rohit asks, politely smiling and handing over the menu.

He gives one look at the menu and closes it immediately.
"Actually... I don't really have any money right now..", he says , finally removing his sunglasses.

"Uhh..."

"I can repay you later but I don't think it's appropriate to order food from you right now..
Can I just sit down here for a while? It's really..... cold out there.", He says, looking around again.

"Yes.. you may sit here.. It's fine.", Rohit replies, puzzled.

"Isn't he so cuteeee??", Nira looks at Rohit as he passes by to reach the counter.

"Ofcourse.. this is the reason why you keep bringing me to this cafe. Just talk to him already instead of asking me questions about love and princes..",
The napkin on the table flew down to the floor, distracting her. She bends down to pick it up from the floor when her eyes locks in on the guy seated at the corner.

"Weird..", she muttered under her breath.

"He is so beautiful...", Nira says with those lovestruck eyes.

"Very strange.. and who wears sunglasses and caps indoors? Is he hiding from someone? Probably the police? Could be a stalker or a terrorist.."

"Wait.. who are you talking about??", Nira interrupts.

"That dude in the corner. Don't look there.. Dont look there..", She repeats the sentence but facepalms when her friend does the exact same thing. She looked straight at the guy in the corner.

"He does look really strange...", Nira agrees.

"Wait.. he has no money? Why is wasting a table then??", Ria nudges Rohit towards the table.
The ladies overhear their conversation as they pass by.

"He looks really tired... we should just let him be.", Rohit tells Ria as they approach his table.

"Sir.. I think you should le....", Ria is cut off in between.

"Why don't you have some more water? And these are freshly baked cookies specially made for Christmas. Enjoy your time here and Merry Christmas..", Rohit says, before pulling Ria out of  the scene.

Half an hour pass by, it was nearing 9:30 pm already.
He resorted to reading a book to let things cool down a bit. Rohit switches on the bright fairy lights before taking the mic.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you so much for being with us on this special occasion. Today ,we celebrate the 2nd anniversary of our cafe and ofcourse, Christmas and the beginning of a new year. Let's end this evening with a lucky draw. We have put in the names of everyone who is present here right now. Let's begin with the first winner for the third prize..",

"The winner is Priya Mehra..", Ria announces and a girl runs towards the gift wrapped in red and white paper excitedly.

"So the second prize is really special. The winner gets free cappuccino for an entire year.", Rohit says, drawing much more attention from the audience.

"The winner is...Nira Kapoor", Ria reads out the name on the chit that she picked. She noticed the instant smile on her brother's face as she said that.

"What?? Oh my god!!", She laughed as she pushed Nira, who was in a major shock already.

"Go... Go..", she says, as she smiles happily seeing her friend exchange lovely glances with her crush.

"Now you will have to come by more frequently..", Rohit says, handing her the gift. Nira felt as if a butterfly garden just flourised in her stomach. She couldn't stop smiling.

"Your dreams are turning true, my friend. I should start lehenga shopping for your wedding already!", She laughs, teasing Nira who is blushing profusely.

"Did that actually happen or Am I just dreaming??"
She instantly hit her arm to prove this wasn't a dream.
"Ouch... but omg. I can't believe it..", Nira was in cloud nine while her friend laughed.

"And the winners are Mr. Dev and Ms. Ahaana Anand..", Rohit announces, catching them offguard.

"What?", she utters in confusion.

"Ahaana!!You just won the first prize.. Go get it..", Nira laughed out loud.

She walks in disbelief, smiling. She notices Rohit smiling at someone right behind her.
It was 'the strange guy in the corner'. She turned around quickly.
"Congratulations!!! You guys get to have a delicious dinner tonight by the lake, together..", Ria says, holding out the coupon.

"Wait.. together??", Ahaana just looked at the two of them, bewildered.

"Yes.. That's the prize!!", Ria exclaimed.
The ladies missed out on the earlier announcement whole celebrating Nira's win.

She looked at the 'strange guy in the corner' in utter disbelief. He took the coupon from Ria happily and positioned his cap again.
A dinner with a strange stranger?
Merry Christmas, indeed!

————————————————————-
Thank you for reading this.
Hope you have a wonderful new year 2024✨

After months of not writing anything, I have finally come up with a new story.
Hope you guys liked the beginning.
Happy New Year 💖