Chapter 25

EVERLY

Kayla and I arrived at school. It was already packed with all the students. I scanned around, taking in who was there and wondering whether the new kids were coming to school.

My mind raced over what happened last night with the wolf. Could it have been from one of the kids that was coming here?

My eyes landed on Kylie and her friends, and they were in an entire conversation about something that didn't interest me.

I felt Storm move in my head and let out a huff.

"No need to worry about her," she muttered. "We can deal with it."

I said nothing, trying to keep calm.

Something touched my arm, which made me look to see Kayla smiling. "Are you going to show me where the reception is?" she asked. "I need to get my schedule."

Giving her a nod, I motioned toward the school's door. "Through there," I said. We can head in before the bell rings. Maybe we are in the same classes."

Kayla nodded and smiled. "I hope so," she said, her eyes going over to where Kylie and her minions were. "I don't think I can cope with people around certain people. Not the ones I already met."

I nodded but felt happy that she felt the same way I did about Kylie.

Kayla and I started to move away from where we were standing and headed inside to the reception area, where Candice, the receptionist, was on the phone. She glanced up at us and smiled but placed her finger up for us to wait momentarily.

Storm was near but out of sight. I looked around until my eyes landed on the principal's door, where he was on the phone. I couldn't help but listen in.

"Well, if all the students are ill, then we will wait for them to come next week," he said, sounding off. Was this regarding the kids from the hotel?

I listened in more.

"Keep me updated and let me know if there is anything we can do or even help—" he said but was cut off. I couldn't tell what was being said, but whatever it was, the principal wasn't too happy.

I watched as the principal moved the phone from his ear and muttered. "Well, that was rude."

Looking away before he could see me watching him, I glanced at Kayla, who was looking at me. "Are you okay?" she asked. "You seem quiet."

I stared at her.

Was she watching me?

Storm stared at her and huffed. "I think she was."

Without saying anything, I shrugged, not knowing what to say to her.

Kayla stared at me, but the receptionist cleared her throat before she could say anything. "You must be the new student starting today," she said with a smile. "I have everything here for you. There are some documents for your grandmother to sign, and here is your schedule."

Kayla took everything from her and nodded. I placed her schedule in front of everything and looked at it. My eyes scanned over hers, and I smiled. She was in all of my classes.

"Am I in your classes?" Kayla asked, which made me look at her with a smile. "Yeah," I said. "All of them."

Kayla grinned.

"If that's the case," the receptionist said, making us look back at the receptionist who continued. "Everly, can show you around this school and even take you to your classes."

I gave her a nod.

The receptionist explained some of the rules and even pointed out the restrooms that were out of order.

After that, we left the office and went to leave, only stopping when the principal came out. "Damn it," he mumbled. "The new kids won't be coming here for another week. It seems they all have food poisoning."

The principal sighed. "The mayor isn't going to be happy," he mumbled and walked away, heading out of the reception area.

That was odd.

Why would this concern the mayor?

Shaking my thoughts, I looked at Kayla, who was looking at where the principal went. "Hey," I said, touching her arm.

Kayla looked at me and smiled.

"Sorry," she said. "That was strange to hear. All of the new kids are having food poisoning simultaneously."

I said nothing.

Storm was close but was silent.

Clearing my throat, I looked around and sighed. "Shall we look around before the bell?" Kayla nodded, but there was something written on her face that I didn't understand. We walked away, and I showed her as much as possible till the bell rang.

I showed her a locker, which was not far from mine. The bell rang, and we headed to our first class, only to be stopped by Kylie, who had been waiting not far from the door. Many people were heading into class, but she didn't seem to care since she was talking to a few other girls who had joined their group.

I frowned as I approached.

Kylie looked at me and laughed. "Oh, look, the freak is here."

Storm growled in my head at her words, but I kept a blank face. There was nothing she could say that would hurt me anymore, and I was making sure of that.

Kylie stopped laughing, noticing I didn't react like I used to, and frowned. "What's wrong with you?" she asked, stepping toward me. I stopped and stood my ground.

Storm was a little too close. I clenched my hands into a fist.

"Storm," I muttered through our mind link. "Don't. I can manage. I can't rely on you all the time with my problems."

Storm stared for a moment and moved back, staying close only so she could hear what was happening.

I stared at Kylie and still didn't interact with her, which was clearly starting to annoy her more. "Well!" Kylie said, stopping a few feet from me. She crossed her arms over her chest and stared.

Keeping my eyes solely on her, I felt a hand on my arm, and I knew it was Kayla. "You must be—" she said, which made me look at her confused, but I soon realized that she was pretending not to know Kylie. I looked back at Kylie, who had now started to grit her teeth.

It was highly amusing to watch.

"Kylie, dummy," she said and huffed. "Why do I bother with you too?"

We watched as she turned around and headed down the corridor away from us. I was only in one class with Kylie, and that was Chemistry. She avoided me in there since most of the good-looking boys our year would be in there, too, which seemed to make her hover around them.

Shaking my head, I looked at Kayla and smiled. "Thanks for that," I said, which made her look at me. "No problem," she said with a smile. "I got your back, Everly."

Having someone with my back who wasn't my brother felt good. I could get used to this.

I felt Storm move back further like she usually did when I went to my classes since she finds them all boring, and I couldn't blame her. I wish I could do the same with some of my classes, especially math. I hated it.

"Shall we head inside?" Kayla asked, stepping before me.

I gave her a nod and followed her into the classroom.

Hopefully, today would be good after that encounter, but it was only the beginning. Anything could happen.