six. sunrise boulevard

Start from the beginning

My eyebrows raise in shock that he knows that. I didn't think he really paid me any attention save for the occasional few insults. At least not enough to know how I occupy my time.

"How'd you know that?" I ask, copying his gesture and leaning against the gate.

He shrugs but doesn't offer a response.

We turn our attention to the ocean and the sun rising above it. Pretty colors of pink and gold paint the sky as they swallow up the darkness of the night. It is quiet and serene as the sun steadily but surely rises above the rippling waves of the sea, illuminating them with a touch of light.

"I love watching sunrises," I say and then regret it.

As if he cares.

But he turns his head and quirks a brow at me. "Why?"

Without looking at him, I answer, "Because they're effortless."

He's silent for a second and then asks, "What do you mean?"

I shrug. "Sunsets are overrated. Everyone watches them and loves them. It's like no one appreciates a sunrise, but it's not like the sun chooses not to rise because of it. Don't you think it's sort of ironic how people love watching the sun go down but don't care for when it rises? When it's here, people take it for granted but when it goes away, people start to think it's beautiful. Only when it's fading away."

For a second, I get lost in my thoughts. I turn toward Jeremiah only to find him staring at me intently, curiously. Suddenly, a blush coats my cheeks as I turn away and clear my throat.

"Nevermind. Forget what I just said."

Fuck, why do I keep embarrassing myself?

We both go back to watching the sun rise overhead, silent in our thoughts. Jeremiah's close proximity messes up my senses. I hate how he makes me feel, and I hate even more that he doesn't realize it.

I glance at him through the corner of my eye. The rising sun casts an incandescent glow on his golden skin. I can't help but stare at his beautiful boyish features, the beginnings of a light smile on his lips, the curve of his cheeks and the sharpness of his jaw.

I look down at where our hands are splayed on the railing. So close and yet so fucking far at the same time. Without thinking, I stretch out my fingers slowly. Just the smallest inch, but it's enough to just barely graze his knuckle.

He shoves both of his hands into the pockets of his hoodie. I can't tell if it's because he noticed the touch or if he's just cold.

Biting my lip, I move away from him to make it seem as if it were just an accident. I sink my nails into my bare thighs, spiraling in the notion that is unrequited love. How fucking depressing, going every day aching for this person when they don't spare you so much as a fleeting thought.

Jeremiah steps back from the railing.

"I should get going," he says. "I'm working the opening shift today."

"Oh," is my stupid answer.

He doesn't look at me nor does he spare me another word as he turns and walks away.

jeremiah's pov

I WATCH AS Belly disappears into the building where her debutante meeting is taking place. There's a smile on my face as I think about how adorable she is when she's nervous. My heart aches with the thought of her racing through my head and plaguing my nights.