The Second Interrogation

Sousa was once again pulled away from everyone else by Coulson down to the basement.

"Before you start, sir, I feel like I should preface this by saying that Mack already gave me the shovel talk," Sousa said hesitantly.

Coulson sighed. "Aw, man," he said disappointedly. "You think the words would still carry weight if I said them again?"

"Probably not, sir." Sousa stifled a smile as he tried to stand with his back straight.

Coulson shrugged. "Okay, well." He grabbed a tablet on the wall. "Mack doesn't give me updates, so what, Cadet Sousa, are your intentions with my daughter?" he asked seriously.

Prepared now since he's been stewing for a few minutes, Sousa was considerably more relaxed than when Mack was interrogating him. "Well, if Daisy happens to reciprocate my feelings, if we're both ready to, I'd begin to, um, court her." Sousa, again, tried to hide his smile. "And if that happens and we both feel we are a good match, a long way down the road, I'd be thinking about marriage."

Coulson's hands, which had been typing on the tablet, paused. "Marriage?"

"I don't see why not," Sousa replied with a small shrug. "Most long-term relationships end that way. Daisy, from what I've seen, is a beautiful, headstrong woman with a wonderful personality and a promising future. I wouldn't want to tie her down if she didn't want to, but if it's an avenue we both decide to go down and agree that it's a good choice whether for our relationship or tax benefits, I'd say that there's a possibility. As SHIELD agents, we won't have the average lifespan, the most dangerous age being from when you enter to when you retire. There is no safe period where we can just stop everything. Especially with HYDRA running the scene. So even if we did do anything, it'll be informal since I doubt that we'd want it on the records. But if Daisy would like to one day, I'd have no opposition to it. In fact, I'd welcome it."

Coulson stood speechless for a few seconds before hastily adding more text. "That's... hilariously forward," the agent said, looking down at his work.

"Pardon?"

Coulson looked up. "Oh, nothing. You're much different than the last guy I had to interrogate. You can go help with dinner with Mack."

Sousa didn't hide his smile as he left. "Thank you, sir." He walked back upstairs, where he spotted Fitzsimmons with their bags.

"Yes, I understand, sir, but there's got to be more notice-" Simmons was saying, getting cut off by a voice on the other end of the phone. "Of course. We'll be there straightaway." She clicked off her phone and noticed him looking curious. "University faculty want Fitz and I back for the party. Said we missed too many, which is bollocks."

"They're just parties, so I don't see the whole point in missing them," Fitz complained as he hauled his luggage down. "Stupid bonding experiences," he muttered under his breath.

They left in the Quinjet in the backyard.

"How are we leaving?" Sousa asked Daisy casually. "If they just took the jet?"

"Oh, we have another one." Daisy was watching the speck that was the Quinjet as it flew off. "We have a spare that returns home on autopilot, so it can take us wherever we need to go." She glanced over at him, amused. "Why, you worried you can't make your escape, Danny Boy?"

"No," he replied. "I'm happy just here."

Daisy beamed at him.

Mack's voice floated outside to where they were. "Sousa, I need you with me!" he called.