"You okay?" Kai nodded towards Maven, his voice coming out low, making me straighten my back for some unexplained reason.

Maven rubbed his shoulder and nodded, "yeah, you're good."

"Mhm," Kai hummed under his breath, I don't think Maven even heard it, I barely heard it. He turned his head to as I blinked up at him, the look in his eyes still not softening, "you? Are you okay? Did it hit you?"

"No," I let out, going to tug on ny sleeve but remembering my shirt is short sleeved, curling my hands into fists instead because he was still staring at me, "I'm fine."

"Good," he straightened, his eyes going to the ball in Maven's hand, hitting it with his palm, making it bounce to the floor before he caught it under his arm, "I'll take this. The other one is far away."

With that, he turned, bouncing the ball against the ground as he walked back to where Rio was. Rio crossed his arms, "if we're going to really challenge each other, you better level up your game. When I win I want to earn it, but with this rate? You're going to make it so easy, Kishimoto."

I watched as Kai took a sharp breath, his chest expanding before going back to normal, bouncing the ball more harder, Rio's hands already taking position to cut him off, but Kai was faster, rounding him and sprinting to the basketball hoop, jumping so high his hands gripped the gaol as he scored, making the hoop shake before his feet touched the ground again.

"What was that you were saying, Rio?" Kai turned, tilting his head, and Rio laughed after a moment, raising his arms up in surrender.

"Rio, you better not lose again!" Amelia cubbed her hands to her mouth, "you're embarrassing us in front of our new friend!"

She pointed at me, and he shook his head with a roll of his eyes, winking at her after saying, "don't worry, princess. I've got this in the bag."

"Yeah, right," Kai scoffed, and Rio's attention turned back to the game.

"Guys, I'm bored," Clara groaned to my left, snapping my attention to her throwing the ball to Amelia before a smile lit up, "I want to try basketball."

"Rio never let's anyone take the ball until he's done with the game," Amelia gave her a look, "especially when it's with Kai, who also gets too much into it."

Kai does get taken away when you hand him a basketball. I felt my chest tighten when Clara shrugged, "I just want to try."

She didn't give Amelia a chance to say anything again, turning and walking straight towards Kai. I fisted my hands, trying to control the look on my face. Stay away from him. She called out his name, making him whip his head to her once he scored a goal, and she tucked her hair behind her ear, saying something too far for me to hear.

I saw him hesitate, give Rio a glance before shrugging and handing her the ball. Why is he so nice to her? I know Kai, I know how he acts around most people. This man barely looks at people, he never even encourages in conversations. But here he is, standing behind Clara as she took position to throw the ball, and as if that wasn't enough, he was now touching her.

I gritted my teeth so hard I could hear my jaw tick the moment his arms came around hers, positioning them in a better direction before letting go, showing her how she should throw it. I felt like I was on fire, my chest was going to combust. This feeling was so ugly, so painful. I wanted to pry him away, to tell him not to look at her, that I'm right here, all he has to do is just say the word, all he has to do is want me.