Chapter 8 - When The Rug Gets Pulled Out From Under You

Start from the beginning

Anger toward her.

"You're the only one who can help Hera now."

"What? H-How?" Asu asked. "Do you want me to run and get help? I-I will—rush to the neighbors—"

Asu started to turn away, but Siti gripped her shoulders and shook her.

"No one in the mortal realm can help Hera," Siti said, her tone harsh, so harsh, it scared Asu. "You can find her in the hidden realm. None of us can enter. Only you. You must save her. You owe us this much."

"I don't understand what you're saying," Asu said, shaking her head, tears filling her eyes at the frightening look in her grandmother's eyes.

"You're going to get her back," Siti said. "Sibila, take her back to the house, get her ready. Call Muruthi, let him know it's time."

Sibila gripped Asu's left arm and dragged her back with a gleeful laugh.

"What are you doing?" Asu asked. She barely had time to ask as Sibila pulled her back to the main house with force. "Sibila, what is going on? Why aren't we calling for help? The police, the chief, the village elder. Any of them can help us find who took Hera. What does grandmother mean I should bring her back?"

Sibila walked through the coffee rows not pausing, already knowing the route with her eyes closed. She did not speak until they were in the great living room in the main house.

"Don't think about running out," Sibila said when she pushed Asu into an armchair in the living room. "I need to get your bags. We have a lot to do before you have to go."

"Go where?" Asu demanded as Sibila hurried to the stairs.

Asu watched her take two stairs at a time and decided everyone was crazy. She got up determined to return to her bedroom, but a hand clamped her shoulder, forcing her back into the armchair.

She looked back and bit back a scream when she saw the two men standing behind her. They were workers who had lived at her grandmother's farm for as long as she could remember. Had they followed them from the fig tree? Why would Sibila want to keep her here?

"I need to get my phone," Asu said, to the closest one. "I'll call for help—,"

"The necessary calls have been made," Sibila said, coming down the steps carrying a large leather bag. She also had Asu's book bag and the diary from her bed. "I have your things. Who knows if you'll be able to come back? It's good to carry everything."

Asu's fear deepened at the gleeful expression on Sibila.

"Let's take her to the annex," Sibila ordered.

Asu stood up ready to run when the two men reached for her but she did not get far. The two workers gripped her arms tight and dragged her to the back door of the kitchen. The annex was a self-contained building. Used by guests who were not family. Asu had never truly entered the room, visitors always occupied it.

Sibila opened the door when they reached it, and the two men pushed her in.

"Wait for us," Sibila said to the two, then closed the door. She placed Asu's book bag on the small table by the door and then looked at Asu. "I won't pretend to know what you're thinking. I'll only say this once. You will have to do what I ask you to do next. It doesn't matter whether you want to or not. Don't make me force you."

Asu stood in the small living room and stared at her cousin caught between shock and fear.

"Sibi," Asu said, her voice shaking at the determined look in Sibila's eyes. "We can talk this out. Whatever it is, you-you d-don't have to do this. W-whatever this is."