Chapter 3: Sandgem Town

Start from the beginning

From his side, a quiet giggle broke through his concentration. Turning to look, Cynthia held a hand over her mouth, trying to hide her laughter. "What's so funny?" [Y/N] asked with a confused expression. She calmed herself down, "You keep making that serious face. It's just funny." He gave her another look before turning away, shaking his head, "Sorry, I'm not really in a funny mood right now." He had to go and damper the mood, though he wasn't really in a good state for joking right now. And who would be, without memories of anything. Lost in a strange land with nothing to centre oneself. It would be hard for even the nicest of gestures to break through the uncertainty.

Cynthia hid a guilty look, she probably should have thought more about poking fun. It didn't really suit the situation, but that didn't mean she had to mope about. Gible sat in between her arms, staring up at the blonde with a confused expression. The small dragon gave her a funny expression flailing its tiny limbs trying to touch her face, forcing her lips into a small smile. For as much trouble as the little monster gave her, she wouldn't have preferred any other Pokémon.

After a few minutes they made their way up towards the local police station. The building was much smaller then [Y/N] had originally thought, and held a more traditional design. It certainly didn't scream law enforcement. However, as they grew closer, it was clear to see the windows covered up and the lights turned off. Walking up to the front door, he placed a hand upon the door knob, and gave it a strong pull. A subtle click sounded.

"Great, it's locked." [Y/N] said aloud. Cynthia gained a more dejected expression, "Just when we needed them too. They're usually always open, I don't know what would be keeping them." All three gave a simultaneous tired sigh. He turned towards her, "Is there a hospital nearby at least?" She winced slightly, "There's a small clinic, but no major hospital. The closest would be in Jubilife City if I recall." [Y/N] gained a more relieved expression, "How far is Jubilife?" Cynthia looked down, "It would be a few hours northwards by car..."

What was he supposed to do now then? He couldn't turn towards the police and any major hospital was a town over. He was in some country town where you would be lucky to catch a single car every hour. An irritation [Y/N] hadn't experienced before began to surface. What the hell was going on? Why the hell was he going through this? What had he done to deserve any of this? In his stomach a sickly nausea reappeared, something he had been trying to suppress since he woke up. Disorientated, the buildings and people around him soon began fading into multiple iterations, suffering a severe case of double vision. Even standing upright was becoming a challenge. While he tried to come to terms with the world around him, the world around him reacted back, slowly spinning but quickly growing faster and faster. Everything was simply too much for the young man to handle all at once, despite how hard he tried to force through it.

Even while she hadn't known this strange boy for very long, it was clear to Cynthia he wasn't in the best headspace mentally. Though how exactly to help she wasn't really sure. She didn't really have much expertise in helping those who had lost all their memory. While she contemplated the many ways she could help, it was glaringly apparent she hadn't noticed the boy stumbling around in circles, his face turning a strange colour. It was steeped in kind intent, but as he buckled under his own weight, collapsing to the floor, her mind went blank. Startled, covering his mouth in surprise, Cynthia kneeled down, shaking the strange boy's shoulder. Repeating his name with increasingly more worry each time, "[Y/N]! [Y/N]!" Over and over again.

"Cynthia? Something the matter, what are you doing out here? Whose this here?" A gruff voice intruded, the blonde and Gible in tow recoiling in fright. [Y/N] attempted to look up at the new figure, yet as he scanned the stranger's legs and bottom torso his vision went black, failing back into unconsciousness. Cynthia let out a small worried jumble of words, completely out of her depth. "I don't know! He said his name was [Y/N] but he couldn't remember anything else! Not even Pokémon! "The new figure shook their head, sighing under their breath. "I see. Well, help me get him up. He can rest at the Lab for the night. And I'll see if I can perform a quick examination on the boy."