Willow Tree

Running out of the school after the bell rung was the best feeling. At least for the other kids. For me, it was the opposite. I didn't want to go home. Whenever I walk through those doors and into the place I had to call home I change. I become someone who's scared all the time by everything around me. Every sound, every move, and everything that is said to me. I never know how to answer. I never know how they want me to answer. If I answer wrong it's another bruise. Or even worse, the basement.

After school, I started to head home with my best friend Hailey. We've been friends since first grade. She's always been there for me. She and two other people, my sister Malani and my other friend James. We had just stopped talking to James a few minutes ago. He had wanted to talk about studying for the test tomorrow as well as give me a gift. Nothing was happening. It wasn't my birthday or anything, he just got me a gift which made me happy. As we were walking I looked down at the small box he gave me and smiled trying to guess what was inside.

"Ooh, looks like someone has a crush," Hailey said lightly bumping her arm into mine. I put my hair behind my ear and hid the box.

"No, I don't know what you're talking about" I lied.

"Yes, you do! You're so blushing right now!" I smile and groan putting my head up, "Ugh, no im not!" I look at her with the biggest smile on my face. She looks back at me with a face that tells me she doesn't believe me.

"Fine! I do, but can you blame me?" I say looking at him in the distance behind me. He was getting into his mom's car. He noticed me and smiled, "He's not only really cute, but he's so nice". She looked at me as if she was shocked but also happy for me.

"I mean, he did get you a gift for no reason. And I know he's nice, I'm friends with him too," she claimed. "And I bet he likes you". I looked at her wanting to believe it but, the last time she told me that someone liked me she was wrong. I just think that he was just being nice and wanted to get me a gift.

"No, he was just being nice," I say. I don't wanna get my hopes up, it'll only lead to heartbreak and that's the last thing that I need right now. She rolled her eyes at me a said, "Whatever, love expert. But tomorrow, you're telling me what was in the box okay?" She smiled. I laughed and nodded my head just thinking about what it could be.

She smiled back and started to cross the street. This was where we headed our separate ways to go home. I waved at her and shouted, "Bye Hailey!" Once she was already across the street she waved back and yelled, "Bye Hannah! See you tomorrow!" We kept waving until we couldn't see each other anymore. I looked back down at the small box in my hands and smiled. My smile quickly went away when I noticed my watch around my wrist. I start walking faster as the time reads 4:37.

Shit. I'm late.

I started running home as fast as I could. As I'm running I start crying and stuff the box in my backpack, scared of what could be waiting for me at home.

I come up to the front door, out of breath. Stop crying Hannah, Stop crying. I tell myself over and over again until I've completely stopped. I look down at my watch. 4:45. Okay.

I open the door and see my mom standing in front of me. My dad is leaning over the counter with a beer bottle in his hand. My mom walks up to me and looks at me. Don't cry Hannah, Don't cry.

In the blink of an eye, I feel a burning pain on the side of my cheek. I gasp and hold my breath so I don't scream or cry. I look away trying to hold back the tears forming in my eyes.

"Where were you!?" My mom screamed.

She was angrier than usual. I can see in the back that my dad was trying not to get involved as he gripped the almost empty beer bottle.