The Dark Place - Chapter Forty-Three

Start from the beginning

2

Cass felt the intense heat of the sun as she walked toward the lake. She raised her left hand and wiped the moisture away from her brow before taking in the view around her. The lake appeared to be exactly the same but everything around was almost unrecognizable. The clearing that surrounded it was much larger than the one she knew. The grass was well manicured and there were far fewer trees.

Cass looked down looked down at her reflection but it was not her reflection which stared back, it was that of a pretty, young girl. She looked exactly like an older version of Tamicka.

Who are you? Cass asked in thought rather than words.

"My name is Annie Morton!" Annie replied.

Why are we here Annie?

There was a long pause before Annie answered, "You'll find out soon enough!"

Did something bad happen here?

"I already told you, you'll see in good time."

It was only when Annie sat down on the grass that Cass realized she had no control over the actions of the young body within which she had taken residence. Although she had full use of all of its senses she could not will it to do anything its rightful owner did not wish it to do. The only reason that hand ran across that brow was because the drops of perspiration irritated Annie.

Do you come to this place a lot? Cass asked, sensing that Annie had become more relaxed.

"I'm not really supposed to be here but I just can't resist being by the lake on such a beautiful day."

All Cass could do was watch as Annie plucked a buttercup and used her thumbnail to make a small incision along its stem. She then picked a daisy and threaded its stalk through that of the buttercup before using her nail to cut a little slit in that also. Soon she had made a chain long enough to make a bracelet which she joined around her wrist.

Cass admired the delicate band of flowers and felt Annie's lips smile at her handy work as she swirled her feet in the lake. "Maybe I'll make another one for Granny," she said, reaching out for another flower.

How old are you Annie?

"I was fourteen last week," replied the girl as she created another link and threaded the next flower through it. "Granny bought some lamb down in Eastlake Village. It was the first time we had eaten meat in weeks. 'A special meal for a special day' she told me.

As the girl played with the flowers she seemed totally oblivious to the growls of the dogs. They were not close but Cass was aware that they were closing in.

The dogs are coming!

"I know!" Annie's flat tone gave no indication of fear.

You said that you're not supposed to be here!

"That's right!"

Well shouldn't you leave before they find you.

"But that's the point. I'll run soon and they will catch me because this has already happened. No one can alter the past."

Apprehension coursed through the part of Annie that was Cass and Cass was aware that the girl knew it. She had lost her advantage and Annie was now in charge again.

"Perhaps I have started too early. I only wanted you to see things as they were for me before the horror, but maybe we should have started there."

As Cass saw the first of the men with the dogs come into view her Vision blurred and everything faded to black