The Dark Place - Chapter Twenty-Five.

Chapter Twenty-Five

1

The long walk into town was lonelier than usual for Cass Blakely. After she had untied Jasper from the tree and buried him, Cass knew that she couldn't stay under the viaduct anymore; she would have to find somewhere new to live. Her options were running low; there was only one more place where she knew she could find shelter but she didn't relish spending the night at the old house by the lake.

As the first rows of houses, which marked the beginning of the town of Eastlake, came into view Cass was hit by a flash of pain in her temple and with the pain came an image in her mind. The picture seemed very real. The little girl, whom she had seen in town yesterday, Tamicka, sat alone by the lake in the woods holding two soft toys. She looked so sad as she gazed out across the lake hugging the two dogs tight to her chest and rocking back and forth.

Something was coming. Cass couldn't see what it was but she knew the girl was in danger, and she would never get there in time to help.

2

Tamicka set the toys down, one each side of her, and looked at her rippled reflection in the water. Her new shortcut had brought her down to the lake much quicker than she had expected. She looked down at each toy in turn and gave them a soft pat on the head.

"We're going to have to think of a name for you aren't we?" she said as she focused on the newer of them. She stroked it a few more times. "I know, how about Mrs. Huggles?" Tamicka allowed a smile to play across her lips as she looked at the blue, fluffy fur. "Maybe a boy's name would suit you better."

A rustling noise came from somewhere in the woods behind her. Tamicka jumped to her feet. She wanted to run away but her feet were rooted to the ground. The sound came again and this time it was much closer.

"Who's there," she shouted, trying to keep the fear out of her voice.

There was no answer but seconds later an older girl with shoulder length, mousey coloured hair made her way into the clearing. It was strange; the girl didn't look particularly menacing but as she walked towards her, the fear inside Tamicka grew and the girl's smile did nothing to ease it.

"Well now, what do we have here?"

Tamicka's apprehension intensified at the tone of the girl's voice.

The taller girl stopped only inches away from Tamicka. "You're not supposed to be here. Don't you know that this place is out of bounds?"

"But I am allowed... I think!" Tamicka could hardly hear her own words. "I've just moved into Munford House."

"Hey, you must be the girl that Penny told me about. She said that you'd probably be here." The girl's smile became more genuine and she held out her hand. "My name's Amanda by the way."

Tamicka placed the dog with no name under her left arm with Mr. Huggles and shook Amanda's hand. "Hi, I'm Tamicka," she said with a shy smile.

"So Tamicka, what do you think of our quiet little hideaway then?"

"It's great, I'm so glad Penny brought me out here," Tamicka looked over at the bushes behind Amanda. "Didn't she come with you?"

Amanda picked up a little stone and skimmed it across the water. "No, she's at our other place. I'll show you if you want, it's only a little way from here."

Tamicka was nervous at first. She didn't know this girl but she had said that she was a friend of Penny's and she seemed nice enough. "Sure," she smiled, "where are we going?"

"Right over there," Amanda smiled pointing to the other end of the lake.

Tamicka was dubious about going any deeper into the woods but happy at the prospect of seeing Penny again. "Okay," she smiled.