50. Confrontations

The evening had reached Kings Landing and Alyssa was sitting with her family in the chamber, eating Dinner. Baelon sat and ate his food, rambling about something exciting that had happened to him after his lesson.

After a little outburst she had had earlier that day, it felt good to have her sons around as their presence calmed her down. Aegon sat across from her and talked to Baelon about his day. The little boy was completely absorbed in his story and Aegon seemed to be listening carefully to what was being said.

Alyssa took off a piece of the lamb meat with her fingers and dipped it in salt before bringing it to her mouth. Her eyes were fixed on the plate she was eating, but she could still feel Aegon's stare.

"Mama! Sword twaining" Baelon cheered, looking at his mother for approval. But Alyssa still thought he was too young. The boy was only two years old and, despite her protests, had begun to learn letters every day on the Queen's orders, so she wouldn't throw her toddler into sword training.

"When you're older, my son." She assured him, pulling off some grapes from the vine.

"I older" He fussed with a pouted lower lip. Alyssa couldn't help but smile at him and caressed his cheek. "I need you here until Rhaegar is older, who else will be able to protect me if something happens?"

His sad expression disappeared just seconds after she pointed out that he was needed there to protect her and he immediately felt needed. "Okay mama"

She nodded with a smile and went back to eating her food. Alyssa lifted her eyes to Aegon, who had his eyes down on his plate. She resisted the urge to throw the fucking fruit platter at him.

She grabbed another bite of lamb and ate in silence before glancing at Baelon to see his plate almost untouched. "Baelon eat, you've been playing all day, you have to eat."

"No eat. Play" he begged as she sighed. A little annoyed because everything must be a battle on his part, his father's son, she thought.

"You can play late–"

"You can go Baelon, Mariah take him to his room" Allowed Aegon in spite of his wife's pointy stare. Baelon did not wait to hear the protest of his mother, but was out of the room faster than lightning.

All the anger that had been bubbling inside her earlier that day started again when he just dismissed her choice just like that. Alyssa raised her arms on the table, Her knuckles clenched together as she tried to keep her calm.

Not only had he behaved like an unhappy drunk on their son's name day celebration, he was stubborn enough not to tell her his problem and then that clubfoot comes into their chamber and says he's seeing his mistress again.

With her arms still on the table, she looked at the servants who stood with their hands in front of them and their heads held down, waiting for orders. "Clear the room," she ordered.

Aegon pretended not to hear a word of what she said and continued to eat in peace while all the servants bowed to leave.

Silence settled thick in the chamber, and the sound of footsteps grew lower and lower until the door closed and they were alone.

Her stomach clenched so much that it hurt, but this was going to be talked about tonight and that's just the way she had decided it should be.

Alyssa leaned in her chair and rested her arms on the armrest as she inspected him as he ate. The cutlery scratched against the silver plates, as he cut into the meat and dragged his fork over the plate.

She sighed deeply and fixed her eyes on him, "I heard something very interesting today, husband." she put forth in a surprisingly calm tone.

Aegon didn't look up but continued to eat, just nodding at her. "I heard you took our son to the dragonpit before the feast."