49. All The Walls Have Eyes

Start from the beginning

Aegon's voice pulled her out of her mind as she tore her gaze away from the children who were playing and to Aegon who was still standing.

"I've been looking for you, Aly," he said suddenly, breaking the silence. Alyssa raised her eyes to meet his violet purple eyes staring down at her.

From a distance, they heard Rhaella calling out to Helaena for help. Helaena got up and walked towards the girl to see what she needed help with.

As soon as she was a short distance away, Aegon sat down next to his wife in the place where Helaena had been sitting just a few seconds earlier. Alyssa heard Aegon's deep sigh as he sat down.

"I see you're still angry at me" He remarked and lifted his hand from his lap to touch hers. But it remained just as still and tight with the other.

"I understand that you're still not going to tell me why your behavior was the way it was during our son's celebration."

"It's neither the place nor the time for this argument now, Alyssa. I know my drinking has affected you negatively in the past but have you ever thought about how I feel-"

She pulled her hands away from his in a swift motion in a way to interrupt him. "I have. On so many occasions. Thought about it. But instead of talking to me about whatever problem you have, you go back to your disgusting habits. Back in the shell of a man I loathe more than anything." She spat.

She saw the hurt in his eyes and regretted her words immediately after they were released. But there was nothing she could do now. Before he could even utter a word, she quickly got to her feet and called Baelon. "Baelon, my dear, let's go inside now."

She had her back turned to Aegon and kept her eyes fixed on Baelon, who only looked sad at the mention of his lessons.

"Come on my dear, Mariah will take you to the room and we can play later, okay?"

You could tell from the little prince that he wanted to keep fight ing to stay, but it was useless when it came to his mother, and he knew it himself. So he just nodded and involuntarily followed her back into the castle.

_______________________________________

After dropping off the very bitter young prince at his room, she decided to go to the queen. Which had become a habit during the day to visit his mother by law at least once a day. Despite the fact that Aegon often tried to convince her not to go.

She climbed the grand staircase that led to the queen's chamber, meeting many people from the court on the way there. Henen's hands were held together in front of her stomach as she walked, feeling a hint of guilt for what she said to Aegon earlier. Even though she didn't want to.

Down the stairs her maid Tanya came down to meet her. Alyssa stretched and waited to hear what she had to say.

"Aly, Rhaegar has woken up and it seems like he's missed his mother" Tanya kept a small smile on her face as she spoke as she often did. The princess nodded and changed direction to her room instead of the queen's to spend time with her son.

"Is all well? He doesn't cry like yesterday?" Alyssa's tone was one of concern, after the boy had cried his guts out just the day before.

"No, princess. I just noticed that he was a little grumpy. So we concluded that he misses you."

A bright chuckle left her throat. The two continued walking towards the room a little faster as Alyssa didn't want to leave her son for too long.

"Good day, sir," she greeted Sir Noah who was standing outside her door. He nodded in respect and opened the door for her to enter, but froze when she saw the master of whispers in the chair next to Rhaegar's cradle. But her son in his arms.