16 ⋆*・゚:⋆ the truth unravels.

Start from the beginning

"Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter," said Lupin, nodding. "I believed it myself — until I saw the map tonight. Because the Marauder's map never lies. . . Peter's alive. Ron's holding him, Ara, Harry."

Harry looked down at Ron, and as their eyes met, they agreed, silently: Black and Lupin were both out of their minds. Their story made no sense whatsoever. How could Scabbers be Peter Pettigrew? Azkaban must have unhinged Black after all — but why was Lupin playing along with him?

Ara had her eyes narrowed at her father, inspecting him and Lupin, searching for any kind of lie in their expressions that would give them away, but there was none. Still, she was incredibly wary, while she still kept an open mind, she would not trust them unless they showed solid proof.

Then Hermione spoke, in a trembling, would-be calm sort of voice, as though trying to get Professor Lupin to talk sensibly.

"But Professor Lupin. . . Scabbers can't be Pettigrew. . . it just can't be true, you know it can't. . ."

"Why can't it be true?" Lupin said calmly, as though they were in class, and Hermione had simply spotted a problem in an experiment with Grindylows.

"Because. . . because people would know if Peter Pettigrew had been an Animagus. We did Animagi in class with Professor McGonagall. And I looked them up when I did my homework— the Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animal they become, and their markings and things. . . and I went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register, and there have been only seven Animagi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list."

"Hermione. . .I'm an unregistered Animagus, remember?" Ara said, making Black and Lupin turn sharply to stare at her. "I'm not on that list, maybe Pettigrew did something similar. . ."

Ara didn't want to appear mad by trying to support Black and Lupin's story, but she couldn't deny that there were many believable things. Her feelings were torn, she wanted to think they were telling the truth but she also hoped they were wrong. Because if they were right, she would have had her Mum's murderer right under her nose without noticing and she'd spent all her life hating the wrong man. But, if they were wrong, that meant her anger and loathing towards Black had been justified. She wouldn't have to feel so guilty then. . .

"Yes, Ara's got a point," Lupin said, releasing a laugh. "The Ministry never knew that there used to be three unregistered Animagi running around Hogwarts."

"If you're going to tell them the story, get a move on, Remus," said Black, who was still watching Scabbers's every desperate move. "I've waited twelve years, I'm not going to wait much longer."

"All right. . . but you'll need to help me, Sirius," said Lupin, "I only know how it began. . ." Lupin broke off. There had been a loud creak behind him. The bedroom door had opened of its own accord. All five of them stared at it. Then Lupin strode toward it and looked out into the landing.

"No one there. . ."

"This place is haunted!" said Ron.

"It's not," said Lupin, still looking at the door in a puzzled way. "The Shrieking Shack was never haunted. . . The screams and howls the villagers used to hear were made by me."

"You used to come here. . ." Ara trailed off, already guessing what he meant. "For your transformations during the full moon?"

Lupin nodded in confirmation as he pushed his greying hair out of his eyes, thought for a moment then said, "That's where all of this starts — with my becoming a werewolf. None of this could have happened if I hadn't been bitter. . . and if I hadn't been so foolhardy. . ."